Sign in to follow this  
LobsterLvr

Other Concerts & Happenings That Weekend

"America" is playing at BBKings.

Van Morrison is performing.

And there's a huge street festival on the 13th on 8th Avenue (from 42nd up to 57th streets). Mmmmm, fried dough for everyone!!!

Dave

Everything in NY is within walking distance. The island is only 3/4 of a mile wide. And every 20 blocks (north and south) is a mile.

That means 16th street to 42nd street is only a bit over a mile. (30 minutes walking time).

And the (clean, safe) subways make everything even more convenient.

Dave

The 8th Avenue Food Festivel is one of the best in the country! The diveresity of cusine available is surpurb! The music is good too so that maybe a day activity we may all want to hook up for.

JohnO   

Van Morrison, BTW, is at the United Palace Theater, from 10/12 to 10/14. Tickets are from around $80 to $250.

Other, more reasonably priced shows:

10/12 - Bowery Ballroom - The Raveonettes

10/12 - Tori Amos - WaMu Theater (Madison Sq. Garden)

10/12 - Mary Weiss (ex-Shangri-Las) - Southpaw, Brooklyn

and, if I get a Village Voice, I suspect I'll find dozens more....

JohnO said:

Van Morrison, BTW, is at the United Palace Theater, from 10/12 to 10/14.

I know some people reeeeeeeeally like Van Morrison, but I would rather stick hot needles in my ears!

:blink:

Bernie

marvin   

Just like Dylan, Van still writes great music. Unfortunately also just like Dylan, Van left his best singing voice somewhere behind in the 1960's.

AnneG   
LobsterLvr said:

Everything in NY is within walking distance. The island is only 3/4 of a mile wide. And every 20 blocks (north and south) is a mile.

That's a true New Yorker for you --one who thinks nothing of walking all over Manhattan. I'm the same way, although I've learned that many visitors get quite sore after a day of sightseeing!!

Anne

JohnO   

...Just like Dylan, Van still writes great music. Unfortunately also just like Dylan, Van left his best singing voice somewhere behind in the 1960's."

Both still have their moments live....and personally, I'll take listening to either over Springsteen at this point!

marvin   
JohnO said:

Both still have their moments live....and personally, I'll take listening to either over Springsteen at this point!

Ouch! That hurts!

Jeff   
Raspbernie said:

I know some people reeeeeeeeally like Van Morrison, but I would rather stick hot needles in my ears!

I've done that !!! It makes listening to Van Morrison a LOT easier :lol:

ericphan   

So is it really pretty safe to walk the streets and take the subways nowadays on weekends? I know back in the 70's and 80's NYC was a pretty scary place, though I heard it has gotten a lot better.

dianed   

I'm in the city quite often "all by myself" and at all hours of the day and night. I have never had a problem. I'm not one for the subway system. I'm not afraid of taking the subways, I just don't understand (or call it stoo-pid) the A trains, B trains, E trains, and so forth. So, I get around with what God gave me....my two legs. There is so much to see and do, I'd be afraid I'd miss something if I didn't walk !!

Diane's right. NYC is fine.

Don't let any out-of-towners tell you otherwise.

I've lived and/or worked here since 1981.

I come into the city everyday to work on madison ave. I was never mugged. I haven't heard of anyone being mugged, threatened, or frightened in over 15 years.

Yes, in the 80's it was awful!! But so were fashion and hairstyles.

Dave

We visited NYC twice in 2005 and loved it, loved it, loved it. Never felt frightened walking around. But there was that weird-o pretending to be practicing yoga in Central Park that kept trying to attract my attention to his "junk" hanging out of his short shorts. :blink:

The timing doesn't work out for us for this show, we can only pray this is only the first of more to come.