Sign in to follow this  
CubbiefanMike

Anyone Know the Fan in the Front Row?

Kirk   

Whoever it was, I doubt he remembers much about it after being dropped on his head. Crowd surfing among the 50+ crowd not recommended :blink: Kirk.

He wasn't a member of EC(I hope). He wasn't in the front row, he was about four or five back. He just happened to kick my friend in the head while he up. He was also drunk, obnoxious,and yelling things, that in some cases tested my ability to not act out myself. He was a punk!

Heh Heh Heh, I think I've had a lot more experience with these idiots then some of the older fans on board, having worked stage security for some of the biggest punk bands:) The best techniques are "The Parting Of The Red Sea" this is when the idiot is onstage preparing to dive onto you, fully expecting you to welcome the chance to catch his drunk ass & hoist him triumphantly over the crowd. When this happens, I sidestep, and if enough people do that, his swan dive will end with a satisfying SPLAT! as he hits the floor facefirst. For an idiot already on top and being surfed, try the old "Over & Out" try and catch his leg or boot, and push with all your force straight up. This will force his body into an arrowlike position, aimed facefirst at the floor, with the same gratifying result. Or you can just revert to wrestling, I find a straight arm clothesline in mid dive across some asshole's throat will generally discourage further stupidity. We had several wars in NYC with Boston and DC punks that came to NYC to give us a beating, and show us how they did it. They were sent home crying both times. But yet, crowd surfing hasn't died, and since I'm a big guy, I always get goofs asking me to help them up. After a rocket boost sends them flying, they don't ask twice:) Hope that helps, y'all!

Julia, don't worry, they almost never get hurt.They are usually so wasted they don't feel it. I once worked at the Beacon Theater for a Dead Kennedys show. I caught some guy 3 times climbing the PA to dive off. It had to be at least 25- 30 feet up in the air on top. The 4th time, I saw him too late, as he was diving. I could actually feel it when he hit the floor, and the idiot was up & slamming in seconds. Knuckleheads.

JohnO   

"We had several wars in NYC with Boston and DC punks that came to NYC to give us a beating, and show us how they did it. They were sent home crying both times."

This was more of a matter of how the punks behaved on their home turf. Different etiquette (for want of a better term) in different cities. I saw NYC and Harrisburg,PA punks get their asses handed to them several times at the Marvin Center (GWU) and old 9:30 Club when they came to DC. My reaction then, and my reaction now to punk "wars" - so what???

(Aside from just a small handful of bands (Black Market Baby, Meatmen, early Scream and Bad Brains - the first 3 never really made it big; the last moved to NYC), DC punk bands were pretty worthless, including the pretentious Dischord posers (Minor Threat, Fugazi, etc.).)

JohnO   

"At least if he looked (and weighed) like Iggy...he'd be easy to move about above the fans'shoulders."

I assume you haven't seen Mr. Osterberg lately? He's put on quite a bit of muscle.....and weight, I'd assume, even if he is still quite short!

John, I agree there was different etiquette, the first time I experienced stage diving was when I went to DC with the Dead Boys. They played the 9:30, and I got in several fights trying to keep them offstage. But the difference is, they actually said to us in nyc they had "come to NY to show us how to do things". Both the DC and Boston punks specifically said similar things, and picked fights with us, so we responded with force. Even today, if you watch Steve Blush's American Hardcore documentary, there are boneheads that said they took us to school. At least Harley was there in the film to rebut their claims. It's actually worse nowadays, there is a group of fans, can't remember their name, that actively pick fights. I had some stupid girl picking fights, using my shoulder to climb up and doing high kicks an inch from my nose in NYC last year at a Saints show, I finally warned her that if she didn't stop touching me, I would knock her down. Luckily her boyfriend saw how stupid she was being, and pulled her away. I blame it on the clubs, they let these people get away with it, instead of protecting the fans. If they had stopped it years ago, that would have ended the problem.

Iggy's still pretty light, I've had him dive on me at a stooges show recently. He once kicked my camera by accident in the 80s, then crooned Sister Midnight to me whilst holding my hand and staring into my eyes. Kinda creepy, actually:)

JohnO   

"Iggy's still pretty light, I've had him dive on me at a stooges show recently. He once kicked my camera by accident in the 80s, then crooned Sister Midnight to me whilst holding my hand and staring into my eyes. Kinda creepy, actually.."

Yeah, he's so damn tiny, height-wise. "Kinda creepy?" Hell, I think I'd need years of therapy after that!!!

When I watched "American Hardcore", I was too busy laughing at H.R.'s attempts at trying to say anything coherent (God, that guy's brain is toasted!), to pay much attention to the punks arguing about who was tougher......and frankly, I was already in my late 20s when the punk "wars" were taking place. I was usually a lot further back in the crowd, trying to take in the show, not lose a few teeth!...so I heard about it and saw it a lot more than I experienced it up close.

Also, I think the "we'll show you how it's done" crap was ratcheted higher by the genius idea to "import" punk fans from DC for Saturday Night Live the night that Fear played in '81 (I think Belushi's the brainiac who insisted that they book the band...so millions of viewers could be serenaded with "Beef Baloney" and "New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones"). I believe the nonsense escalated after this.

The Harrisburg punks always struck me as pretty aggressive, although there weren't all that many of them.....although I applauded when, one night at a Ramones show at The Wax Museum, some idiot DJ (from a station that, of course, never played them) was trying to introduce the band, and he got hit smack in the face with what appeared to be a size 13 or so boot, courtesy of a Harrisburg punk down front!

Yeah, HR is pretty fried, I saw one of the 3 shows in nyc at CBGB's final hardcore shows, he kept forgetting the words. I heard the first night, he wore a football helmet with a mic attached:)And you could get a pretty good contact hi in the hall outside the dressing rooms, HR had his own, and the rest of the band in another. I'm actually in AH, there is a shot from RAR in central park, at a Millions of Dead Cops show, and I'm right in front.

I always stood right up front on the warzone until 84 or so, when it turned into rampant jockism instead of fun.