Sign in to follow this  
austinberries

'Berries in '08?

BarbB   

Eric, you will love this one! We were talking to a friend of ours who took his 13 year old daughter to the State Theatre as her birthday present. It was her first rock concert. We saw her the other night and she continued to gush about how "amazing" the Raspberries show was and how Hannah Montana USED to be her favorite. Her mother told us she is telling all of her friends how awesome it was. Guess you are right about the age group, but it's good to know you can still win over the young ones!

Barb

James   

I walked in the mall at Orland Park a couple months ago, and a blond teenage sensation was putting on a concert right there in the middle of the mall. I forget her name (you guys would know her) but she's on TV and a big star.

I couldn't see her but the shrill screaming by the little kids about knocked me out the door. I can't explain it but it was very moving, it gave me goosebumps as the postive energy/noise coming from those kids was amazing. I'd really never experienced that type of energized adulation at any concert I've ever been to. I too thought that's what Beatlemania must have been like.

Instead of continuing this thread, just do a 'search' on this topic. It has come up many, many times in the last 3 years - since the reunion.

Marvin, I love ya brother...but pleasse stop telling people to "search" for related threads...without this new thread, we would not have gotten the comments from Eric that just set the record straight. (Thanks Mr C, I get it now)

If it is a topic "you" don't want to address again...just skip it, you don't have to add your two cents to every thread, though your input is always appreicated. I think you're addicted to this site dude...you might want to look into getting a little help! (You know I'm kidding!)

angelina   

Seriously, my personal view of Raspberries reunited is simple.....I NEVER thought I'd EVER get to see them live. My wife and I enjoyed an incredibly romantic getaway to our old hometown of NYC 2 years ago. The boys blew us away. It was cool seeing Jon Bon Jovi in attendence paying homage...but it was cooler seeing a couple of hundred Raspberries fans of all ages loving every second of the performance and enjoying the common thread that connects all Raspberries fans. Heck, I now have an awesome DVD set thanks to the reunion.

In the meantime, Eric is Eric.......and what I wouldn't give to see him playing his solo songs with an orchestra behind him.... appealing to maybe a more mature, sophisticated me. But Raspberries is my in-your-face powerpop youth revisited. I am thankful for that visit appealing to the more impulsive, edgier me.

I reckon the reunion wasn't to set the charts on fire or bring in the cash. I think of it more of an exclamation point or victory lap as evidenced by the incredible reviews and ongoing realization of just how influential Raspberries happened to be.

So I cherish what I experienced with the reunion. Sure I long for more...but am satisfied with what was. yadda yadda yadda.

John

:o

thanks for the insight eric,i think i read your mind on this..i'm not boasting about my thought,i just knew how eric feels about this..and i'm ssooo glad to hear that the cleve show was so important to the guys(and eric)..he has no idea what it meant to the "hometown" fans who got to witness it..again,i wish it was recorded..please,no offense to the ones who voiced their opinions...it's all good..lol,chris

Art   

Eric....if its over, thanks to you all for putting it back together after 30 years. You guys are a class (and very talented) act. If not, just let us know where and when and we'll be there! Thanks again and have a great 2008.

Eric - thx for clearing the waters on this, fans have a tendency to anticipate & speak out for y'all b/c we want to see you out there, & go to your shows, etc

i'm glad to hear you describe the Cleveland show like you do here. i balked at & almost bailed on going b/c of the long haul & expense (not to mention we got snowed in there & couldn't get out), but after taking in the LA show & its in-ear probs, was determined to see the Raspberries unimpeded by tech issues, & am SO glad i did, b/c i would describe Cleveland as perfection in every sense of my Raspberries-absorption capabilities

if y'all happen to get back out there, you know we'll be there for y'all; meanwhile, thank you infinitely for making the reunion shows happen & bringing back together one of the coolest bands to ever knock out so many three & a half minute doses of melodic & harmonic bliss!

darlene   

Different year, same tune. When the guys decide how they want to proceed, I'm sure they'll do very well as "Raspberries," and if they want to do something else, it will be because they all agree.

It's natural that everyone has his/her own opinion, but they'll know what's best for them and they'll do it.

:) --Darlene

I'm glad I flew to Cleveland instead of driving 20 minutes to the Grove. I'm so happy I got to see the band, even if it only may be once, I did it. I had never done anything like this by myself, and I have no regrets! :)

Wendy

The Hannah Montana thing really reminds me more of the Monkees because there is an element of it that is contrived and produced by industry as opposed to the artist truly being a practicing musician first. Its cool, its good for the kids, but I think this really just extends the Brittany, Partridge Family, Monkees paradigm which industry knows it can succesfully pull out of the drawer every so often. I sure hope Raspberries still play a couple more gigs for sure. Doesnt sound good based on Eric's remarks.

By the way, Wendy...I am about 1350 posts ahead of you...I figure you'll pass me by Groundhog Day...

God forbid, he sees his shadow...I couldnt take six more weeks of Wendy World...

James   

Fact is, I'd pretty much decided to not see the band again. The 2005 Chicago show was so perfect that that's the vision I wanted to keep in my head. I purposefully went by myself, didn't have to talk to anyone, or be distracted etc. Just stood there and took it in 100%.

The opening, with Bernie's montage melting into "I Wanna Be With You" was the most moved I've ever been at any concert. I didn't find the Raspberries until 1976 so never got to see them perform live. When the curtain opened, I couldn't believe that here they were, after all this time, playing just feet from where I was standing, and playing at the highest level. The rush brought liquid to my eyes.

I hope they play again, for those who haven't seen them, and those who want to see more.

Eric Carmen and the Raspberries were a big part of my high school and college days. I'm sure all my friends got tired of my incessent proselytizing of the Eric Carmen/Raspberries thing. So I thank the Raspberries for getting back together and providing a spark in all our lives over the last 3 years.

For me, the Raspberries were/are the best ever!!

Lew Bundles said:

By the way, Wendy...I am about 1350 posts ahead of you...I figure you'll pass me by Groundhog Day...

God forbid, he sees his shadow...I couldnt take six more weeks of Wendy World...

By the way, Lew...I came here ONLY to express how happy I was to get to see the band and how truly grateful I am that I did. Then I see you....AGAIN!

Why I oughta...naw...why bother, you'd probably like it! :lol:

Wendy

I would Love to see the Raspberries preform again...anywhere

I thought going to Cleveland would get it out of my system, It just wasn't enough.

It doesn't matter where, once you are on the plane who cares if it takes one hour or three. I want to be there.

The only thing I require is enough time to rearrange my schedule. March is already filling up.

Bessieboo said:

It doesn't matter where, once you are on the plane who cares if it takes one hour or three. I want to be there.

Exactly Beth! When I hear people say "Why doesn't your husband's band play closer to my city?" My reply is, "You can go TO THEM if you really want to."

After I went and saw the Raspberries, I had gotten an email from a BCR fan who said: "YOU MET ERIC CARMEN and saw the Raspberries? I wish they'd play closer to me! I want to meet ERIC!"

And you know my reply was? "I went to THEM...I flew across the USA to see the band. I knew my chances were good that I would meet Eric and this may be the only time I would see the band. So I got my OC behind on that plane, all by myself (no pun intended),and I went. If you really want to do something, you'll do it!"

Yeah, she never replied to me. :(

I hate to hear... I WISH ...when most people MAKE their dreams come true by DOING it...not waiting for it to come to them.

Daaayaaaaaammmmm...I shouldn't drink so much coffee. Next thing ya know, I'll be nice to Lew! :blink:

Wendy

PS: Let me add that I am speaking about those who have a chance over and over again to do something and not do it and complain about it. Not those who have strong reasons why they can't go some place, but would if they could!