Sign in to follow this  
Raspbernie

A Great Association for Raspberries!

PS: Rykodisc is promoting Justin Currie's (whoever that is) live dates but there has not been a Raspberries update there since they posted "Raspberries, Live on Sunset Strip, hits stores next Tuesday, July 31." Nice to have your label on your side, eh?

Bernie

JohnO   

Yeah....but his main axe nowadays seems to be either his Parker (for 6 strings) or Ric (for 12-strings)....with the Gibson double-neck and Flying V only used for handful of tunes. Nonetheless, he's so closely associated with those two axes....

JohnO   

OK...having actually gone to the Gibson site and seeing the CD cover (which I couldn't do on my work PC - got a "Page Cannot Be Found" message), yeah, it's obvious.

Prior to using that link, though, and based on knowing a former Gibson employee (who knew everything about guitars, but nothing about music or who played them!), it wouldn't surprise me if they were plugging the 'Berries due to Eric playing the old Melody Maker in 30+ year-old photos!

This is the company that put out a signature Flying V for Hendrix, the player most closely associated with a Strat in history, I'm guessing. (The 2 times I saw Jimi live, he strapped on a V each time just to play "Red House"....Srats every other song).

Gibson should consider putting out either a signature Wally Bryson V or double-neck, IMO...

I love the Flying V. Easy to play and they have a surprisingly meaty sound like most Gibsons. Didn't Wally also used to play a walnut brown Flying V in addition to the black one? I seem to remember seeing with one in a photograph somewhere.

Considering the profile on Gibson.com, it might be a good time for Ernie to give Gibson a call. Maybe they have a reissue "Flying V" that they'd like to give Wally and make him an official endorser. What do you think, Ernie?

Bernie

MAM   

Gibson made $1,500.00 on me because of Wally. I bought two of them. A 73(?)mahogany model and a 1974 black one. The mahogany model wouldn't stay in tune to save it's life, but the black one ... oh man, that sucker SCREAMED and stayed in tune perfectly. By the way, Wally's V has a cherry finish, not black. It looks black in the stage photos but it's not. I gave up on playing rock in 1982 and sold it because the country band I joined said it didn't "fit". Boy, I miss that guitar and now I'm back to playing rock again, arrgghh!

MAM   
MJ said:

That would be cool Bernie lol. Captain H - I do believe I've seen footage of a walnut brown Flying V.

MJ, if I'm not mistaken, Wally played a walnut brown Gibson SG series in the Flipside videos. That's probably what you recall.

MJ   

Yes Mam could be - the old eyesight is getting worse. But I would know the difference between a Flying V and a Gibson SG lol. Maybe it's just a trick of the light in one of the old photos I saw. I'll be glad just to see Wally standing up there with any guitar of his choice!

JohnO   

The only thing Wally played the V on in the reunion shows I saw was "I'm A Rocker".

However, I remember seeing him use in on "Go All The Way" on a Don Kirshner's Rock Concert...with Eric at the mike, no guitar - a very cool version, with just 1 axe!

JohnO   

From what I can see on Gibson's site, they currently make 3 custom/signature Flying V's - Zakk Wylde, Judas Priest, & Hendrix;

and one custom/signature ES-1275 (double neck) - a Jimmy Page model.

Agree we should all contact Gibson & request a Wally B. Flying V - strike while the iron is hot, and they're showing the CD cover on their site!

JohnO   

God help us! Gibson also apparently makes a limited edition Lenny Kravitz signature Flying V(!!?) Wally should certainly get his own model!!!

(NOTE OF CAUTION: The Hendrix Flying V retails for about $7-8 grand.....these signature models are NOT cheap...)

"Justin Currie's (whoever that is)"

Justin Currie is one of the most talented singer/songwriters alive today. Check out the tunes he has posted on his My Space page and tell me you will not be in line (or online, as the case may be) to purchase his long-awaited 'Rebound' solo CD. This guy is a freakin' genius.

I never really understood the whole appeal of the signature models. I mean yeah they "signed" it (I hate to sound cruel but Jimi hasn't signed anything in years if you know what I mean), but it's really the same guitar that comes off the assembly line as countless others.

JohnO   

Most signature models, at least Gibson's and Fender's, are limited editions, as far as the numbers that are made. They're also very expensive, but for a reason.

I knew Danny Gatton many years ago, and talked with him when Fender was building/prototyping their Danny Gatton signature Tele model. He hand-carried (actually flew) his '53 tele to Fender, where they meticulously measured and photgraphed every detail (in Danny's case, down to the bent pickup selector switch, to keep it out of his way when he was doing volume swells with the volume knob and his pinkie; the zirconium dots he embedded in the upper side of its neck by the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th & 12 frets, which reflected the lights on stage so he could always see where he was on the neck; and his protoype Joe Barden rail pickups - mini-humbuckers that fit in a tele). They also used the oldest wood they could find to try to get that old tone - the result was pretty much an exact duplicate of Danny's guitar, to the point that he retired his old '53 permanently. Now, he also played with his strings set to very high action - that, they didn't duplicate, because most players prefer low action. Ultimately, you're right - you're not getting a unique instrument, per se.....but you are getting a much better axe than what's coming off their normal, non-custom shop assembly line...