Sign in to follow this  
Tim From Wisconsin

HOB: My 2 Cents

I may be out of my league here but even though I haven't been a fan for as long as some here - I knew Eric's music first then became interested in the Berries' music. I would love to hear them play not only their hits but some of the "obscure" cuts - they may garner new fans - the ones that maybe didn't care for GATW(gasp!) I know, I know it's blasphamy.. but love "Drivin Around" and "Rock and Roll Mama" after they hear it live.

I don't really care how long the set is, what songs they play - even if it's a cover or Eric's solo material. I am just excited to be able to see them. The fact of the matter is we shouldn't "look a gift horse in the mouth" - the band is playing because they 1) want to celebrate the release of the live cd/dvd or 2) they just plain want to IMHO.

The boys don't *have* to do this. They could decide at any time not to do any more gigs. Maybe they cut back in light of Dave's surgery - who knows.

Just enjoy it while it lasts and relish every moment.

HT

I think it all depends on what the band wants to happen and where they want to take this. If they want to take this to the next level of financial success and growing the fan base, then Eric's solo material is a must to be included. If they just want to keep pleasing the diehards, then a few covers and the Raspberries catalogue makes them happy (I remember seeing Elton John do both "Twist and Shout" and "I Saw Her Standing There" at concerts of his and nobody complained). It's all up to the band, but I also think that if they want to grow this, new material is a must, at least one new song that would include a video, and I'm not sure they all want to do that.

Oh, and BTW,......Chicago!

mellie   

Well, you know what I think??? I think these shows would be selling a heck of a lot more tickets if every one of the fans would start picking up the phone and calling the radio stations to request the songs from the new CD and get them playing in their local markets. When the stations start getting enough requests, they're going to start getting more airplay and new people will hear about them. If they shut you down once, wait a couple of days and call again! Get your friends to call. (Get the message???)

The great thing about the internet is that you don't have to live in the city where the station broadcasts from to be able to listen to 90% of what's on the air. You don't even have to be in the same country - most of the stations have online requests and mail forms that can be used. If you aren't calling the radio stations and talking up the band, then don't blame the band for not being able to sell tickets. They're doing their part by booking shows and showing up to play.

As for the setlist - I love the covers. I can listen to the CD's any day of the week and even though the energy of the Raspberries performing their own songs live brings on the magic, the covers are a bonus that I can't get at home. If anyone in the band is paying attention - I would heartpump LOVE heartpump to hear "Locomotion" live again. If there was anything added for the Cleveland show - that would be the GREATEST!!!

Doug   

Most of what has been cut from the 1st reunion show setlist until the most recent ones were Wally & Dave songs, so the show has become more and more an Eric-centered thing, anyway. This would just be going further in that direction. Yet, the tickets sales are dropping.

The music biz has changed radically in the last 10 years. People don't go to live shows as much. They don't buy complete albums anywhere near as much. Meanwhile, the technology for making decent albums has gotten cheap enough that almost anybody can make their own. So at the same time demand is going down, supply is going up exponentially. How do you make money in the new paradigm?

I don't know if it would work for the Berries, but I like the Spongetones' answer. They solicit their fans to each pay $50 to help fund the cost of a new album. The fan gets updates on album progress (photos, audio samples) and when it's done we get the commercially available album plus a CD of all the demos and songs that didn't make the cut. They still have a product to sell to the casual listener, and the fans have something extra (which we love, don't we?). They only play out occasionally because folks in the band have day jobs.

I still think the only way to get new fans is with new music.

marvin   

..or Evan & Jaron's idea of pushing the record company to the wayside by offering one download a week for 52 weeks (hence the name of their new 'album' 52 Weeks) on their website.

Marv,

They'd sell out Pittsburgh before they'd sell out Calgary! Hee hee hee.... Just teasing you.

Seriously, though, it's only a 3- or 4-hour drive from Cleveland.... I know they'd get some travelers coming from all over Ohio to see 'em play. Not to mention western NY and western PA fans.... Yeah, I think Pittsburgh could work. Plus, the band wouldn't have to travel very far, except Dave. And maybe Ryko could do some old-fashioned, sidewalk-pounding publicity and marketing....

Besides, a Pittsburgh gig would give me an excuse to go see my old house. See, I spent my first three years of high school near Pittsburgh (Murraysville/Monroeville --- Franklin Regional HS), and I loved it. In fact, looking back, I wonder if it was Pittsburgh's close proximity to Cleveland that helped get "Go All the Way" and "I Wanna Be With You" in my ears all the time....

So, I'll second Deb's emotion, er, motion. Now that that's settled, Deb, which venue should host Raspberries? It's been a long time since I've set foot in Pittsburgh, so toss a venue or two out there.....

We have some great venues. I will promote Seven Springs Resort again. They have both wonderful outdoor and indoor concert areas.

Your room is right there, you do not have to drive to the concert area, you get a free buffet breakfast if you stay overnight, and the rooms are relatively inexpensive (less than $100 during the summer). More bang for your buck than in larger cities. There are also at least three or more restaurants located right there.

They even have lots of entertainment for the kids if you would want to bring your family.

I was there this past summer and it was just fantastic.

Also Seven Springs does a lot of promotions for their concerts. I know this for a fact.

If Seven Springs does not suit,then we do have Heinz Field, Post Gazette Pavilion, Mellon Arena, and a few more. These would be more expensive and you would also have to find a hotel nearby if you plan to stay overnight.

Just a thought.

JohnO   

"so does anyone know, w/out speculating, from a venue or band source why the HOB show was so short?"

Was it shorter than the October NYC or Anaheim shows? For some reason, I thought they played the same setlist as the previous 3 recent shows...

austinberries said:

so does anyone know, w/out speculating, from a venue or band source why the HOB show was so short?

Overall it was longer than the other shows this year. Yes, they skipped one song, but we got some improv and banter during the time they were trying to rectify the monitor situation that made up for it. Otherwise they played every song that they played in NY or Anaheim.

Thinking back again, It was still a fun show to be at, and the crowd kept on smiling and singing along through all of it!

Tim

yeah, the show was a blast, but i thought they skipped a few more songs (as someone posted prior) like 'hard to get over a heartbreak', 'drivin' around', & a few others that slip my mind at the moment

btw, hats off to wally for stepping up to the mike & jawing/noodling while they were troubleshooting the monitor situation - the guy has no shame! ;-)

Austin, the 2 songs you mention were performed in 2005, not this year.

And Mellie, it's well and good to throw it back on us to promote the band, well, that's their job, not ours. I have in fact tried repeatedly to promote this band. In 2005, I had 2 articles published about the band, and photo discs requested by the band were promptly sent. However, the press pass I was promised at AC HOB never materialized, causing me to leave several thousand dollars worth of camera equipment in my car and causing much anxiety the whole show. When requesting photo passes for 2007, repeated emails to the Press address and Al K directly were ignored, even though we told him we had the story placed and needed photos. No reply, so I never bothered to shoot the shows,or write the article. Mind you, in both cases, I told them I already had bought tickets, so there was no money loss to the band. I get into many shows for free every year, and gets lots of free CDs, but here is a band where I have paid for everything, but still can't get a pass. So how much more effort am I supposed to put forth?

MAM   
frankenberrie said:

I have in fact tried repeatedly to promote this band. In 2005, I had 2 articles published about the band, and photo discs requested by the band were promptly sent. However, the press pass I was promised at AC HOB never materialized, causing me to leave several thousand dollars worth of camera equipment in my car and causing much anxiety the whole show. When requesting photo passes for 2007, repeated emails to the Press address and Al K directly were ignored, even though we told him we had the story placed and needed photos. No reply, so I never bothered to shoot the shows,or write the article. Mind you, in both cases, I told them I already had bought tickets, so there was no money loss to the band. I get into many shows for free every year, and gets lots of free CDs, but here is a band where I have paid for everything, but still can't get a pass. So how much more effort am I supposed to put forth?

Yeow Frankenberrie, that sucks! :(

darlene   

Al's been friends with the band "forever," at least since "back in the day," maybe even their whole lives. I don't know what their business relationship has been over the years. He could tell you better than I.

:) --Darlene

frankenberrie said:

Austin, the 2 songs you mention were performed in 2005, not this year.

right, so they're not busting out nice long shows like then, which it seems they oughta be b/c it's a once in a lifetime reunion phase, seemingly, & who knows how many opp's they'll get to do so

darlene   

What the band "oughta be" doing is up the the band. They know what they have to do to reach the goals they want and they know how to do it. If they choose to let everyone in on what their plan is or why they're doing something a certain way, be assured they *will* tell us.

Meanwhile, they have to do what they have to do. We don't know what they're doing, and we don't *need* to know! They could be in the midst of writing new music, but they don't have to tell us when they're doing that or anything else (or when they go to the BATHROOM!) every second!

I think the boys have been VERY forthcoming about everything that's happening. If they're doing 90 minute shows as opposed to whole EVENINGS of 2-1/2 or 3 hour shows, it's for a GOOD reason. I'm sure we'll know why in good time IF we're meant to know.

I'm just thrilled to see Dave playing again after a serious serious heart operation. However they need to do this is however they have to do it. I'm just over the moon that they ARE doing it, and so many things we never thought we'd see happen, are.

I'd rather not know secrets and be thrilled with the surprise.

:) --Darlene

Wow! I missed this thread for a few days....NINE pages! Everyone has valid points I guess....but let's keep things in perspective.....I remember how thrilled I was in 1991 when I hear the Raspberries would play some dates with The Knack. I was all poised to buy tickets for the Greek Theater here in L.A. I couldn't believe I'd finally get to see one of my favorite bands after all these years!! Then.....*poof*...it vanished, no tour, no shows....nothing. Fast forward to 2005 and The Raspberries decide to FINALLY tour again! 'The Dream' finally came true...and they were BETTER than we could EVER imagine!!! From this point on, whatever they do is gravy, frankly. They owe nobody ANYTHING! They are four great guys who decided to once again share their magic with us. I for one, am very grateful for that. I'll see them, buy their records, etc. just as long or as often as they want to put themselves out there...period! I'm in no mood to nitpick setlists, duration of shows, less than sellout attendance,etc. I just feel fortunate that one of the most enduring and influential rock bands of the last 35 years are still willing to share their magic with us. I ask for nothing more.

LC   

We're in the same camp, Raspberry Rick. That's all I was saying.... To me, any Raspberries show --- whether it's an hour or three hours, or all original songs or half-original, half-covers --- is like Christmas. And I just ain't the type to open a Christmas gift and say, "Well, it's okay, but I'd rather have gotten this or that or the other thing."

I think it boils down to something like this: Some folks have a natural inclination to see the good in things or events (or people!). Others have a natural inclination to see the bad -- to criticize or pick apart. It's the classic "glass half-full vs. half-empty" thing.... I'm not trying to rile up anybody, and I'm not even saying it's a bad thing to be critical, because I do think it's a matter of expressing an honest opinion. And honesty is a good thing. But sometimes, when you're focused on criticizing, it leads to (or sounds like) complaining, and it gets counter-productive. And you sort of lose sight of the good. But hey, that's just me!

Have a great weekend, everyone!