Sign in to follow this  
BEATNUT

Rock Hall Raspberries

BEATNUT   

You're right John in your entire post.

In my opinion, I feel that the Raspberries were at such a disadvantage in having to define a certain time period. Yes early 70's was extremely hard because people back then were looking for the enormous void to be filled left by the break up of the Beatles.

I think from 71 -74 the Raspberries did a phenomenal job and probably not even conscious of it.

Who else that has been inducted into R&R HOF had to do what the Raspberries did and were good at it?

I just don't agree...Blondie was one of the best pop bands between 76-80. With a couple of dozen great tracks. Are you familiar with songs like 'X-Offender', 'In The Sun', 'In The Flesh', 'Rip Her To Shreads','Union City Blue', 'Atomic','Pretty Baby'...I mean the non hits?

MJ   

I liked Blondie as well - not a die hard fan but she did a lot for women in rock/pop/punk.

I think sometimes some of us get a little too enthusiastic and unrealistic as to our expectations with many bands, including Raspberries - but who knows - perhaps they will make it into the HOF. They are always in each of our personal HOF's - that's what is the most important thing.

darlene   

Herman always loved Debbie Harry. I didn't share his enthusiasm. He loved Stevie Nicks too, but I loved her and Fleetwood Mac, collectively and separately.

Blondie was never on my fave list, though.

:) --D

Well...there you go...I listen to Fleetwood Mac for the Lindsey songs and his playing. I can name 20 Blondie songs I like more than any Nicks song. Different strokes. I have a feeling most people that don't enjoy Blondie are not familiar with most of the songs I listed above.

JohnO   

Personally, I love Blondie and their music.....but I also have reservations about whether they were important enough for induction to the Hall of Fame. As I've posted above, I think this honor should be reserved for the best of the best of the best. Did they have that major an impact/influence or that many hits....or were they that popular? Kinda doubt it....and most of the biggest Blondie supporters I've ever run across loved them for their disco hits, not their great power pop tunes. On the other hand, I can see them getting in over many other acts who are in (Mellencamp, Grandmaster Flash off the top of my head....).

Hell, there are acts in the HoF who are only in there because of what the band members did later (Buffalo Springfield, a great, great band who had what, 1 Top 20 hit and 3 albums? Take away Neil's, Steve's and Richie's later work and success, and would this band have made it? Most likely, they'd be as remembered and popular as Moby Grape now....the other 60's West Coast 3 guitar band of note...)

BEATNUT   
hollies65 said:

I just don't agree...Blondie was one of the best pop bands between 76-80. With a couple of dozen great tracks. Are you familiar with songs like 'X-Offender', 'In The Sun', 'In The Flesh', 'Rip Her To Shreads','Union City Blue', 'Atomic','Pretty Baby'...I mean the non hits?

Of course. I'm familiar with all Blondie stuff. I'm a big fan. Also love Sunday Girl, Picture This,and I'm Gonna Love Ya Too...

Atomic is a very underrated song BTW. However,

put each one of their non hits next to all the Raspberries non hits and it's still night and day.

I just read somewhere that Blondie was also inspired by the Raspberries. Entertainment weekly says The Raspberries are arguably the best power pop group ever. They hung around just as long as the Raspberries. I just don't see how they were more influential or more deserving.

BEATNUT   

Just an update...i'm still composing my letter to the R&R HOF.

I am dying to hear what they have to say. I'm planning on putting it in the mail by Monday.

THOSE BASTARDS!! :angry:

BEATNUT   

OK, my finished and final copy of my 2 page letter is on it's way to Cleveland. :)

I will let you all know if they send me back the obligatory bullshit patronizing letter. :rolleyes:

BEATNUT   
hollies65 said:

I think Blondie's non hits stack up well next to the Raspberries non hits...they are both excellent.

Holls, i'm afraid this is where we will disagree... :)

I think Eric on his own blows Blondie away.. :cool:

BEATNUT   
chris hess said:

personally,alot of people should not be in there imo..the berries will be in there someday..but hopefully sooner!! one day,more people will "get it"..it's a matter of time..lol,chris

Can't argue with you there Chris.

"I think Eric on his own blows Blondie away". I love Eric's music...and Blondie's too. They are completely different.I don't see any "blowing away" of either's songs by anyone. IMO of course.

BEATNUT   

Ok, so we don't agree..but you would have to agree with this...if you feel that the Raspberries and Blondie are basically equals, then there's something rotten in Denmark that The Raspberries are left out.

BEATNUT   
hollies65 said:

The Raspberries,The Hollies,The Moody Blues,The Zombies, The Turtles, There are so many bands getting the shaft...and there's nothing we can do about it.

In my letter that's on it's way to Cleveland..ooops, check that, I keep saying Cleveland but it's really Avenue of the Americas in Manhattan...I said i'm not surprised that the Raspberries aren't decorating your walls in your museum, neither are the Moody Blues or Genesis.

BEATNUT   
chris hess said:

hollies has a good point..sad but true..nothing much we can do about that..lol,chris

Hi Chris...I don't care if I have to write 50 letters or get a petition signed with 50,000 names...I work from home so I have a decent amout of time. I can't take the attitude that there's nothing that can be done. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil...know what I mean? :)