Sign in to follow this  
BEATNUT

Rock Hall Raspberries

BEATNUT   

Read this first.

Leaders in the music industry joined together in 1983 to establish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. "One of the Foundation’s many functions is to recognize the contributions of those who have had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll by inducting them into the Hall of Fame".

These are the 2008 Inductees :

Performer
John Mellencamp
Leonard Cohen
Madonna
The Dave Clark Five
The Ventures

Sidemen
Little Walter

Non-Performer
Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff

After reading that first paragraph I really want to know why The Raspberries who have done so much, as far as significant contributions, plus countless others they've inspired, are not even a thought.

I will also post the link for the previous years past inductees which include John Mellencamp and Blondie, both of whom contributed not nearly half as much as our beloved Raspberries.

Another favorite group of mine also not inducted as of yet is the Moody Blues.

How can this be possible? Is there anything we can do to petition the R&R HOF on the Raspberries behalf?

I think it sucks, I really do!!

BEATNUT   

Oh this really pisses me off now!!

From the site itself on frequently asked questions, the question is "Why is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland"

Here is the answer!!

q: Why is the Museum in Cleveland?

Cleveland's claim on the Museum is born of both rock and roll history and a strong sense old civic pride. Besides being the place where Alan Freed popularized the term Rock and Roll with his pioneering radio show and groundbreaking early rock and roll concerts, **Cleveland has served as a springboard to success for rock artists as diverse as Chuck Berry (who made his first public appearance here) to David Bowie (who made his U.S. debut here) to Elvis Presley (who played his first concert north of the Mason-Dixon line in Cleveland). ***The Cleveland area also been home to a number of well-known and well-regarded rock artists, including Chrissie Hynde, Joe Walsh of the Eagles, Pere Ubu, Robert Lockwood, Jr., Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Phil Ochs, Devo, the Dead Boys, Benjamin Orr of the Cars, **THE RASPBERRIES**, the O'Jays, Dink, Wild Cherry, Bobby Womack, Tracy Chapman and Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, among others.

When the idea for a Museum to house the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame first came about, Cleveland leaders were among the first and most enthusiastic in lobbying Hall of Fame officials to bring the Museum to Cleveland.

AnniekNY   

yeah, we know...this is one helluva annoying statistic that we would love to see changed.

even worse, we went to the RRHF after the Raspberries first show in Cleveland only to find a few items like Wally's pants, Jim's drumhead.

I did find Dave's lovely girlfriend, Kim, there but she was on temporary loan :lol::lol:

(She saw the t-shirt i was wearing and we introduced each other.)

You will get no argument from me here...I absolutely agree the Raspberries should have actually been among the first groups inducted. Do you know what a 'downer' it is to visit the "House That Rock Built" knowing they don't acknowledge the Raspberries the way they should?!! It was incredible to see some of their outfits there etc...but what would matter most to me is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame honoring these guys properly with a long overdue induction! Talk about giving credit where credit is due! If there ever is a petition/I will be definately signing it!

BEATNUT   

I am writing to them this week. I want to find out about petitioning on behalf of our Raspberries.

BTW, I am somewhat new here but have been a lifelong fan of both Raspberries and Eric. They're in my bood, really. heartpump

So if this was previously discussed,which I am unaware,please my apologies for repetiton.

I was browsing the R&R site and it hit me.

BEATNUT   

I think it's totally a slap in the face.

Hey I like Blondie and all but I doubt I could ever make all the fuss about them as I do the Raspberries. Why Blondie and not US???

BEATNUT   

Do you mean heated between members or heated that it's unanimous they should be in? I can't imagine anyone here thinking they are not worthy.

There has to be a way to bring attention to this to the R&R HOF.

marvin   

No we (the Message Board members) have discussed this topic ad nauseum. I'd tell you to do a SEARCH on it, but then Harry would have my hide!

;)

Ha! I have been trying to get the Hollies nominated for ten years...with some real players on the team...Little Steven, Jack Rabid, Pete Doggett, etc.Not even a sniff. Wenner and his fake NY hipster crowd are too busy putting Buffalo Springfield and The Dells in.With that crowd in charge the Berries are not gonna get in.

BEATNUT   
marvin said:

No we (the Message Board members) have discussed this topic ad nauseum. I'd tell you to do a SEARCH on it, but then Harry would have my hide!

I did a search and I saw only one person discuss it. Maybe i'm doing it wrong. I typed in R&R Hall of Fame.

Is this a sore subject around here? I mean I don't want to open any old wounds or stuff like that. I'm just really interested in this and it bothers me that the Raspberries are important enough in Cleveland because they came from there, and the HOF uses that to promote the place, but they're not good enough to be in it. Positively disgusting.

I mean how in God's name could Mellencamp and Blondie be more influential, more contributing than the Raspberries. Blondie and Mellencamp don't have half as many recognizeable songs as the Raspberries and Eric combined. Please, something is very wrong here.

Almost as ridiculous in baseball that Bill Mazeroski is in the HOF but not Gil Hodges. A travesty. How can they be taken seriously?

Hey guys, I know you've been through this, but thanks for letting me vent. :)

Al K   

Hey Beatnut...GO FOR IT!

Just because the topic has been discussed on this board before does NOT mean that you or ANYONE who feels the need to contact the RRHOFM cannot do so anytime and as often as you so feel inclined...thanks for your passion, and be sure to let us know if you get a response.

On behalf of the band thanks again for your passion and support - and keep it up!!

Al

BEATNUT   
Al K said:

Just because the topic has been discussed on this board before does NOT mean that you or ANYONE who feels the need to contact the RRHOFM cannot do so anytime and as often as you so feel inclined...thanks for your passion, and be sure to let us know if you get a response.

On behalf of the band thanks again for your passion and support - and keep it up!!

Hi Al!! :) Great to hear from you again. And just in case you hadn't seen my post to you... Thank you so much for the extras in the DVD set you sent me. My party was a huge success! That's all me and my wife do now..it's like whatta ya wanna do? Wanna watch the Raspberries? OK!! :) That was just so great of you!!

And don't worry...I will definitely be contacting them this week to find out anything I can about bringing much needed recognition to our beloved Raspberries.

How cool would it be if they said we can submit a petition with 50,000 names??

I will certainly do my part!! You're right AL..i'm going for it. :)

Danny S.   

Whats really sad, is that the "Cleveland" section

is like a closet.One glass case, that everyone, including myself, had to "ask" where it was.Its off in the corner...sad but true.Ive been there Twice...Once for Eric's solo show(we were given free wristbands after soundcheck, to roam around all day)and the other was last December, after the State theatre show. I would never 'pay' to go again.

BEATNUT   
Danny S. said:

Whats really sad, is that the "Cleveland" section is like a closet.One glass case, that everyone, including myself, had to "ask" where it was.Its off in the corner...sad but true.Ive been there Twice...Once for Eric's solo show(we were given free wristbands after soundcheck, to roam around all day)and the other was last December, after the State theatre show. I would never 'pay' to go again.

Hi Danny,

You're absolutely right! How sad, and what a disgrace. I don't know enough to speak 100% accurately on this, but maybe it's not Cleveland's fault. All I know is if the Raspberries hailed from Long Island we'd make such a public spectacle that we would embarass the people responsible for this non sense.

I mean aren't they embarassed enough by waiting forever to induct McCartney and Harrison?

What a joke! :huh:

Trindy   

It's not even a "Cleveland" section, it's an "Ohio" section.

But I look at it this way: Do the other states have sections? No. Only Ohio has a whole little display dedicated to its most commercially successful pop music acts.

I don't expect the Rock Hall to be fair to the Respberries. It's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not the Cleveland Rock Hall of Fame or the Ohio Rock Hall of Fame. It's a product of out-of-towners and we are lucky to even have it here. The only "Cleveland" thing about it is its LOCATION.

I would like to see our boys given their due in terms of what a big influence they have been on other acts, but unless they get a champion of their own on the induction board, it's never going to happen. They didn't have enough hit records, they never became mainstream popular, and they never became trend-setting icons of style and fashion that influenced the world. And while the kind of music they play has influenced many other bands, it's never been as popular or visible as other kinds that have been influences.

I don't expect to ever see the day.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

BEATNUT   
Trindy said:

It's not even a "Cleveland" section, it's an "Ohio" section.

Hi Trindy,

I understand what you're saying about the 'own sections', but then to be fair, don't tout the Raspberries as a highly successful rock and roll band to promote the HOF. The fact that they came from Cleveland should not have anything to do with the HOF because it's located in the same city. If this is the only way they can be recognized I think that sucks.

I'm still trying to figure out how Blondie was more popular or influential than the Raspberries.

Heart of Glass, One Way or Another, Dreaming, and Call Me? They can't be serious.

marvin   

Well if you go by album sales and public awareness/recognition, Blondie was definitely more popular than Raspberries. Influential? That's a different story.

JohnO   

There's never been any rhyme or reason as to why some bands/acts get in, and some don't.

Theories include speculation that Jann Wenner personally decides who gets in (which gained credence last year when he allegedly set aside the Dave Clark Five's election because he wanted to induct a rap act), which could account for Blondie's election....(at the risk of advancing stereotypes, Wenner, who's Gay, having left his wife for a man years ago, probably loves the band....it seems that most older Gays who were into disco do!).

(BTW, I feel the same way about Mellancamp being inducted - Why???)

Another theory is that New York or LA music critics seem to control the elections - which would account for the likes of Patti Smith, Leonard Cohen and The Ramones being in....although the latter band were hugely influential in spite of weak record sales. (Although The Stooges, arguably more influential, and also a critics' darling band, keep missing the boat - Had Iggy had the good manners to pass away prematurely, like Joey Ramone....would that have helped?)

Everyone on this board has their own favorites who they feel should be in.....but the question remains - How does one go about influencing the selection (if that's even possible), and who does one need to contact? (Writing the HoF and b*tching about it can't possibly hurt!)

Also....I believe EC posted here at one point that, while he'd like to think that Raspberries should and could get elected at some point, it's not likely, so he's just stopped worrying about this issue - wise words!

BEATNUT   
marvin said:

Well if you go by album sales and public awareness/recognition, Blondie was definitely more popular than Raspberries. Influential? That's a different story.

Yes true, but P Diddy and Snoop Dogg sold more albums too, don't ask me why, it doesn't mean a thing. It's garbage, but today garbage is what sells. How unfortunate.

When you really think about it, Bondie's big score was '79 when Parallel Lines came out.

To me only Blondie die hard fans no every song from that album. In 1980 they did the Tide is High..and who even remembers French Kissing in the USA?

So album sales landed them in the HOF. It's all about the $$$.

JohnO   

"So album sales landed them in the HOF. It's all about the $$$."

Beatnut - What's so perplexing about this is - no matter who the inductee is, someone somewhere can come up with a good reason why they're in the HoF.....and it won't be the same reason(s) from act to act to act.....and, IMO, it's all BS!

Of course, everyone in the HoF has sold records, and is popular, and influenced somebody out there! But, like most well-meainng Halls of Fame in sports or other activities, it starts out as a haven for the best of the best of the best....and it gets watered down considerably over time, to the point where tons of people question the selections. To me, while someone may not like or appreciate an inductee or their music, it should be self-evident why they've been elected....and that's what's missing to me now, in a lot of the R&R HoF elections nowadays...