Sign in to follow this  
marvin

John Soeder of the Cleveland Plain Dealer

marvin   

I contacted John about the lack of a review in the Plain Dealer:

Hey Marvin,

I wasn't able to cover the Raspberries concert last Friday. Barry Manilow had a gig here the same night at Quicken Loans Arena, and I was obliged to review that.

I appreciate the passion of the fans on the EC board. However, I'd hate for anyone to think the reason the Raspberries gig wasn't reviewed was because of a lack of interest on my part. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Unfortunately, we just didn't have the extra manpower to send a reviewer to the 'berries show. If I hadn't had another obligation, I certainly would have gone.

ENDQUOTE

Billy K.   

Cleveland is by no means a "one-horse town", by any stretch of the imagination. Could they NOT afford to have more than one reporter available to cover musical events? After all, it does not neccessarily have to be John that does the coverage!

marvin   

John is a big fan of the 'berries. He was at the 1st reunion show conducting interviews with fans, and has also written many stories on the band.

LC   

Ugh. Barry Manilow merits a review over Raspberries --- the ultimate Cleveland band?

For all the love that Cleveland fans showed Raspberries, the Plain Dealer showed just the opposite. I'm with Billy K; rather than pick and choose between Manilow and R-berries, job out the Raspberries show to a freelancer!

darlene   

John really sounded chagrined and more than a little sheepish. I'm sure he was annoyed as well, but in your job, ya gotta do what they tell ya to. It does seem strange that The Plain Dealer wouldn't have someone else to cover Manilow. Why didn't Laura DeMarco do it herself?

:) --Darlene

marvin   

I hate to say it, but in the grand scheme of things (unfortunately), there are more Barry Manilow fans than there are Raspberries fans - even in Cleveland.

Doesn't matter...This is Cleveland and it's The Raspberries.SOMEONE from the PD should have been there.In the grand scheme of all things rock,The Raspberries are much more important than Manilow [No offense to Manilow fans].

marvin   

Don't shoot me, but I think that even in Cleveland Manilow has more fans than Raspberries do. I'm as guilty as anyone else on this Message Board of living in my Raspberries bubble, thinking that EVERYONE knows who they are. Sadly, that's not the case - even in Cleveland.

Oh I not jumping on you Marv...it's just that even today, serious rock historians and journalists cite the Raspberries as a touchstone of the powerpop genre and as a big influence on many bands.Manilow of course does not get mentioned because he is not a rock artist. If Celine Dionne played Cleveland she would draw more than Manilow...but so what...so would Hanna Montana. The Raspberries are a band who are making an improbable return after three decades...and they are important. BTW I respect your opinions and read almost all of your posts.

marvin   
hollies65 said:

BTW I respect your opinions and read almost all of your posts.

"almost"???

Not living in Cleveland, I can only make guesses here, but having had the opportunity to talk to and email with John Soder, I see his point. I think over the last couple of years the Plain Dealer has given a fair amount of print to the 'berries. Possibly for the PD, this recent concert is just 'another' concert, nothing new, nothing special. Now if the 'berries released new music, I bet ANYTHING that that Plain Dealer would make it headline news.

Trindy   

Hannah Montana is coming Jan. 3 and she WILL draw more than the Raspberries...trust me.

Then again, you also don't have to pay $3,000 for a front-row ticket to the Raspberries!

I take all this in stride. The article before the show was probably the most we could have hoped for. The tendency is to cover the visiting act over the local one, every time...Soeder did the best he could...and he's a fan. Too bad the Plain Dealer has to act like a one-horse newspaper with only one music reviewer.

LC   
marvin said:

Not living in Cleveland, I can only make guesses here, but having had the opportunity to talk to and email with John Soder, I see his point. I think over the last couple of years the Plain Dealer has given a fair amount of print to the 'berries. Possibly for the PD, this recent concert is just 'another' concert, nothing new, nothing special. Now if the 'berries released new music, I bet ANYTHING that that Plain Dealer would make it headline news.

Marv,

I'm as easy as anyone, really, but no... I'm just not buying it. The PD might toss in a Raspberries/EC mention here and there along with the occasional feature, but the Dec. 14 concert was Arts/Entertainment NEWS that merited a writer/freelancer to at least post a quick hit on the show.

It's not like Raspberries are out playing in Cleveland every month.... This was a homecoming -- their first hometown show since they released their first album in 30 years, and dammit, it should have been treated as news in Cleveland, if nowhere else.

In Boston, the Globe will send critics out to any number of shows on the same night if the shows are newsworthy. The PD essentially made the judgment that the Raspberries show simply wasn't newsworthy.

And I just don't get the excuse that there was no one available to cover it. I don't blame John S. at all --- I know he digs the band (I traded e-mails with him a couple times last year), and he's clearly a great guy. But the Arts section editor shouldn't have ignored the event. It should have been a simple equation:

Nationally known Cleveland band + "homecoming concert" = follow-up review

And I don't care how many more Manilow fans there are than Raspberries fans.... There are a lot more Wal-Mart stores than Sax Fifth Avenue stores, but that doesn't make Wal-Mart better.... (no offense to Wal-Mart shoppers).

I'm just saying... :angry:

:)

LC   

(Or maybe I'm just being too demanding.... But I've heard guys in Raspberries say, "Cleveland just never got us." To me, the PD's decision to decline the chance to do a concert review is an example of what they mean....)

LC   
marvin said:

LC we're in that bubble again: "Nationally known..."??? I don't think so.

Marv,

Raspberries are indeed nationally known, in the sense that people all around the nation know who they are. That's not a "bubble" comment; it's a fact.

Now, you're not saying they're a "regional" or "local" band, are you? To me, a band that issued records on Capitol and had a number of nationally charting hits is "nationally known." (You may argue, as you like to do, that they're not "nationally well-known," and I'd say you might have a point. But "nationally known" is certainly fair and accurate.)

PS: By the way, Marv, I'm talking about America -- not Canada. Certainly up there, I wouldn't call 'em "nationally known." No offense intended to anyone in Canada. I love Canada.

Best,

LC

marvin   

LC the 'general masses' whether in Canada, the U.S. or Turkey, have no idea who Raspberries are. That's a fact. Yes, they had a 'national' hit record, but that was 30 years ago. Possibly in 1972-74 people across the nation might have known them, but in 2007, sadly, this isn't the case.

LC   

Now you're just arguing for argument's sake, Marv. Who said anything about "general masses"? That's your phrase, not mine.

It's time to leave, this party's boring.... :lol:

marvin said:

LC the 'general masses' whether in Canada, the U.S. or Turkey, have no idea who Raspberries are. That's a fact. Yes, they had a 'national' hit record, but that was 30 years ago. Possibly in 1972-74 people across the nation might have known them, but in 2007, sadly, this isn't the case.

Sorry, with all due respect, I have quite a few *friends*, that totally know who the Raspberries are ~ in fact, when I sent them e-mails telling them all about the awesome concert experience I had on the 14th, they were impressed and said they would make a point of checking out, the new CD that came out. One of them lives in Texas, never visits Cleveland...so to me, this spells nationally known on some level! :) I too think it stinks that there wasn't a follow up review for the show...however, that being said...I'm a born and bred, Clevelander, and I TOTALLY (!) get the 'Berries!!! :wub: Always have!!

It makes me sad to think, that some of the boys in the band think that about Cleveland (that Cleveland doesn't "get" them)...~sigh~ :(