Sign in to follow this  
marvin

What Songs Are Missing In Action?

steve-o   

Bye Bye Johnny was another great cover they did.

I was fortunate to see them do both Bye Bye Johnny and Little Queenie twice in St. Pete back in 1974 & 1975. Would be neat again...

Steve-O

hollies65 said:

I'd love to hear them cover The Hollies 'Look Through Any Window' or 'Have You Seen Her Face?' by the Byrds...if we're talking covers.

And talking covers, how about The Who's "So Sad About Us" or The Who's "I Can See For Miles." Raspberries could bring new life to those classics (I'd especially love to hear Raspberries' harmonies on "So Sad About Us").

Don Krider :)

MJ   

I love anything they play whether it be theirs or a cover........

I got my Japanese The Very Best of the Raspberries yesterday (the one with the photo cover lol) so guess what I have on? LOL.....

It's Cruisin Music time .......

I always wanted to hear Eric do Wally's 'Send A Ship'. Love Wally's original but I keep imagining what it would sound like with the two of them sitting down and with new arrangements to that one. It is still a hit waiting to happen. I think that it would be something very special. Also thought Air Supply could have done well with it, don't know why as I was never really a big fan of theirs.

hollies65 said:

My Back Pages.

Gorgeous, my friend - thanks for posting that!

I remember being blown away when I read in Bernie and Ken's "Marathon Man" book that it was The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" that inspired Eric (page 6) to "find out what instrument made its distinctive jangly sound." Then over the next few pages finding that one of Eric's early bands played "almost everything from the first Byrds album."

On page 18 Eric says that when he heard The Choir (with Wally, Dave and Jim) play, he dreamed of being in that band so he and Wally could play The Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man" - "both of us with our 12-string Rickenbackers."

Now wouldn't it be cool if Raspberries made that dream come true by adding that song to their set list now?

Don Krider :)

1) Starting Over (Rapberries Best featuring Eric Carmen... all these songs are a must... hearing Drivin Around in Chicago was magical... sorry to find out it wasnt included on the DVD.)

2) Cry

3) All Through The Night

4) I Can Hardly Believe Your Mine

MJ   

The biggest songs that are missing in action right now are the ones spinning around in Eric's and Wally's head that yet have to be put on paper or played out loud.......

Personally I'm a huge fan of "All Through The Night"... and thoug the lyrics don't do "the gals" any favors, I think the song can do as an educational experience to young "groupies" world wide...

And "Money Down"... though Wally has expressed "regret" that he ever wrote it... it still is a rocking number with attitude... ;)

And since the guys have started covering some of Eric's tunes... "American As Apple Pie" is a must! :lol:

Another vote for "Every Way I Can." Definitely a good rocker, and Dave should get more due than he does on Raspberries live shows.

And of course, "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine." They did this one back in the day...it's part of the Live at the Agora set broadcast on WMMS, and to this day, when I think of this song, it's that live version I hear. It really was superior to what ended up on Starting Over.

I love Dave's 'Should I Wait' but I think the set list has been pretty fairly divided. Alot of times Dave does not sing on the harmonies...perfering to concentrate on his bass playing. Dave of course does the aforementioned song and sings lead on 'It's Cold Outside'.I think it's a pretty good mix. I'd like to hear em try Wally's 'I'd Rather You Leave Me'...if that had a proper release in the 60s it would have been a big hit.

JohnO   

I think it seems like Dave's taken the biggest hit as far as trimming songs to reach the band's most recent live set lists.

"It Seemed So Easy," "Making It Easy", and "Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak" have been axed from the '04/'05 sets, while "Come Around & See Me" was cut for Wally (although he sings co-lead on "Don't Wanna Say Goodbye," and did "Might As Well" a couple of times and "When You Were With Me" once in '04/'05, I think). Of Eric's songs, nothing that had been played a whole lot got axed - "I Saw The Light", "Driving Around/Cruisin' Music" and "Starting Over" were only played a few times live in '04/'05. (although, God knows, we would have liked to have heard them more!)

Of the 15 originals they've been playing in '07, Eric sings lead on 12, Wally on 2, Dave on 1....of the covers, Wally picks up one ("Ticket To Ride"), Dave does The Choir's "It's Cold Outside", and Eric does 2 of his solo tunes plus "Substitute".

It's a trimmer, leaner set list, and it's still a damn good one!

Though I loved the shows, since we're fine-tuning (nit-picking?) I too missed some of the songs and wished it were a bit longer. I know it is harder to remember more songs, but I imagine as they do more shows it gets easier. I missed the extra Beatles songs I heard in NYC in 05 (You're Gonna Lose that girl was Especially Great!) and I missed Wally's Come Around and See me from Atlantic City. Since I'm not as big a Who fan, I could have done without the Who covers.