Sign in to follow this  
Al K

'Berries Make Rolling Stone!

MJ   

Fricke's Picks: Raspberries
By David Fricke

Seventies Rock Candy
Hard and sweet, the Raspberries were never the second coming of the Beatles. They were, in the early Seventies, and still are — based on a show I just saw by the original lineup — the rockcandy Who, packing the perfect-Sixties choruses of "Ecstasy" and "Go All the Way" with Live at Leeds fireworks. Singer-guitarist Eric Carmen still hits the mod-angel high notes, and no American band wrote better pop songs about being a great pop band ("Play On," "Overnight Sensation [Hit Record]"). There is no live album from the group's '72-'74 hit streak, which is OK. On Live on Sunset Strip (Rykodisc), a CD/DVD set of a 2005 show, they play every hit, and those that should have been, with the power and shine of their first heyday.

—Rolling Stone, November 7, 2007

darlene   

WOW, "Fricke"-en FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am LOVING this review! Coolness personified! Now I have to go out and buy some copies of the magazine and leave them on bulletin boards in music stores all over the place!

:) --Darlene

Anna R   

Thanks Al.... how cool is this digital version!

I got carried away for an hour!

I will definately go buy this copy.

Fricke couldn't be more right:

" No American band wrote better pop songs about being a great ( and we do say GREAT!) pop band"

I love it! :)

Kirk   

Maybe someone should alert The Grove and House Of Blues- they might be able to use this to promote the shows! Kirk.

JohnO   

Good! Now I'm glad I talked with Dave F. that night at the Highline (although I'm sure I wasn't alone)......the last time I had done so (hammering him about Roky Erickson at an Austin show in March 2006), it only made his on-line blog, and not the hard copy newsstand issue....Dammit, he still should have reviewed the CD/DVD set under the regular reviews, though.....(Guess the 'Berries aren't as important as Duran Duran's latest, Spank Rock & Benny Blanco, Angels & Airwaves, Wussy, or Cafe Tacuba...all of whom did make it!)

It IS "Fricke"-en fantastic, Darlene! And special thanks to JohnO and the many other board members with media connections who continue to plug the excellent performances of the Raspberries.

Amazing in hindsight, I would expect a few bad reviews just as you would during the 70;s in the hey day. My gosh they are in their 50's.

I haven't come across a single negative review, and most have alluded that they are as good if not better then ever.

This is my best line about the Raspberries (Eric?)

I find it extremely ironic that at the time, the very same composer, band, and song library that were once considered and dismissed as derivititve, are now considered talented and even influential.

SS

GMan   

Could it be because all these so called critics(wannabes)who didn't "Get It" back then, are Finally "Getting it NOW"!!! The dolts that they are!

GMan   

I know Marv...I'm still ticked at those guys from way back when. lol I know I know...let it go...let it go. lol :lol:

JohnO   

Once again, why is anybody getting pissed here at critics? I believe a lot of this is just a matter of timing, pure and simple....as opposed to different types of critics; most of whom, BTW, were among the only ones who did "get it" back then!

With the Beatles having just split up within the past 3 years or so, lots of bands who were primarily inspired by their music around '72-'75 got tossed into the trash bin....BUT by the record-buying public, record labels, and radio stations, NOT most critics! I'm talking Raspberries, Badfinger, The Flamin' Groovies, Dwight Twilley, etc. - some of whom had one or more top 40 hits, but they never really made it huge like many should have. Yes, there were some critics who derided bands like these as being derivative, coming on the scene so quickly after the Beatles' demise.....but these critics weren't the ones who caused their record sales to tank - it was more the mass media and the mass market mentality, which, let's face it - generally caters to lowest common denominator, generic music, books, films, etc. - usually nothing with any kind of an edge. (NOTE TO MARV -This is precisely the basis for a lot of criticism related to successful bands like the Eagles, whether it's true or not!)

Also - Whether we choose to recognize it or not, what we now call power pop has only been popular with a large # of people (and radio station programmers) for several very brief windows of time - primarily during the British Invasion of '63 - '66, when it couldn't be ignored, then around '75 - '77 with the punk/new wave movement, which, for the most part, was ignored by mass media and most people....and, other than those two timeframes, when??? Once in a blue moon, something happened like Rolling Stone bestowing its Album of the Year to "Starting Over", but other than that - ???

It's great that Raspberries are getting tons of great reviews nowadays, but remember - it's for a live CD set and shows that have been purchased/seen by how many people??? It probably isn't enough to get the band seriously thinking about writing and recording new material, but I hope I'm wrong.

I just attended 3 nights of shows in NYC (Cavestomp) which probably drew about 1,000, tops....and which featured a number of bands who were and are clearly Beatles/Who/Raspberries-influenced.....and frankly, looking at the crowd, it's sad to say - I recognized a large percentage of these people from previous Cavestomps (the last one was put on in 2001, BTW)...AND a large # of critics, also from previous shows! After Sunday's show, I talked with members of The Sonics, one of the most influential rock & roll bands in history, who were very touched and moved by the reception they got...to the point where they're likely to play more shows. They hadn't played for close to 40 years....and said it was primarily because they never sold much, and they didn't think they'd be in any kind of a demand nowadays....and this is coming from one of the most critically-lauded bands ever!

JohnO   

"I find it extremely ironic that at the time, the very same composer, band, and song library that were once considered and dismissed as derivititve, are now considered talented and even influential."

One other thing....maybe it's just me, but isn't it impossible to say somebody's "influential" during their heyday, unless there are tons of copycat bands/artists out there emulating them? To me, an artist (aside from maybe The Beatles) becomes influential over time, as acts they have inspired come along and perhaps become successful. It's kind of a double-edged sword here, because acts who come along who are their influences' contemporaries (or who came along shortly after, just as The Raspberries closely followed The Beatles) certainly will be viewed as derivative....where, if they come along maybe 10 years later, it doesn't look as derivative...once again, this is a matter of timing, not really taste...

JohnO   

Considering the Warsaw Hall has a sign when you enter it, stating that its legal capacity is 400, getting 1000 in there wasn't too shabby, although it was VERY crowded.....However, it didn't sell enough to cause them to move it to a bigger venue....which was a distinct possibility.