Sign in to follow this  
marvin

A Long Day's Journey Back to Rock and Roll Nirvana

marvin   

Date: Friday, October 12th
Time: 4:30am

Kristy: I can't believe you're doing this again
Marvin: Neither can I

And so began a long day's journey to rock and roll nirvana — a Raspberries concert in New York City.

What can I say about the days in NY? Am I tired? Yes. Was the traveling hell? Yes. Would I do it again? Show me the way to the concert, please!

When I met Bernie prior to the Saturday show, I mentioned in all honesty that I had come firstly to see the fans and friends again — some of who I had not seen in two years. As blasphemous as it may sound, the band was secondary. It took all of four seconds (Eric's "1, 2, 3, 4" count-in into "Tonight"), and I was hooked emotionally, physically, mind and body. Once again I was transported to a musical place that no other band can take me. Hard to put it into words, even harder to explain why this is so.

Both shows had their highlights and I won't mention them all, but hearing an acapella version of "Go All the Way" during the soundcheck was spell-binding. Easily the emotional highlight for me on both nights was "All By Myself." To watch Eric singing his signature song with so much passion, and to see Dave, Jim and Wally alongside, was incredibly moving for all.

Finally, it was great seeing everyone again, bonding in a way that only we understand. I especially want to thank DianeD, Jeff Harris, and MJ for their kindness and generosity. I would not have been in NY if not for them.

As I said to "Lew" at the show, "Why is it that this band is not recognized as the greatest band ever?" I'll go to my grave professing the merits, talents and greatness of Raspberries. Thank you everyone.

dianed   
marvin said:

Kristy: I can't believe you're doing this again
Marvin: Neither can I

And you'll do it again, and again, and again !! Its a hard habit to break !!

darlene   

Marvin, It was great to see you in New York!!! You're the perfect Canadian Good Will Ambassador for Raspberries! Don't worry, I think Kristy's getting used to this.

:) --Darlene

marvin   

Phil fingers are crossed that a show within a couple of hours of flying will come up in the near future - and hopefully not close to Christmas.

marvin   

Darlene thanks for the kind words. One day I'll get Kristy to a show so everyone can see that she really does exist! New York was just bad timing for her, and the mecca of our music, Cleveland, holds no allure for her. I've got to hold out for a show in a city that she's interested in visiting.

MJ   

Marv - my sentiments exactly - the countoff 1-2-3-4 was spine-tingling. The energy of the band and the crowd both nights is giving me residual energy (after a good night's rest) that when I put on the Army Radio broadcast to run/jog/walk to - I found myself running almost 2x longer than normal just from the excitement of even thinking of them on stage. I was still so energized I ran out and got all the essentials needed for this evening --- 2 color, 2 b&w cartidges for my printer, 8x10 glossy photo paper, archival sheet protectors lol....I'm going to be printing all those photos - and a few that my very kind new friends have sent me from Sat & Sunday.

I wish I could come to Cleveland and see the show but I will be at the ones that are coming up after that!!

marvin   

Lew, Captain Harlock, Brooklyn Lisa, Diane, and I had this discussion in the car on Sunday night: 35 years ago I had a difficult time getting my friends to put down their "Exile On Main Street" and "Bad Company" albums, and listen to Raspberries. Today after seeing two exhilarating shows in NYK, my friends are still wondering what is it about Raspberries that made me leave everything and go to NYK. Some things just don't change.

AnneG   
marvin said:

Darlene thanks for the kind words. One day I'll get Kristy to a show so everyone can see that she really does exist! New York was just bad timing for her, and the mecca of our music, Cleveland, holds no allure for her. I've got to hold out for a show in a city that she's interested in visiting.

Egads, Marvin, if I can go to Saskatchewan, Kristy can come to Cleveland!! :lol:

mannoman   

Marv, it was truly great to see you in NYC. It's a shame we didn't get to spend more time together. Maybe in Dec. (hint).

I feel your 'pain' ("I can't believe you'e doing this again"). Ruthie doesn't get it either but she knows it's a 'safe' obsession and doesn't mind.

In truth, if Scott wasn't able to go with me I probably would have stayed home and missed an unbelievable show. It was awesome. Even Mr. Critic (Scott) said they were great.

I have my Dec. tickets and fully expect to be there. Are you going? Huh? Huh?

marvin   

No Cleveland for me Ted. Too close to Christmas and other expenses.

Anne let me say that I could probably get Kristy to come to the city (Cleveland or wherever), but getting her to the show would be another challenge. She's been listening to the 'berries for as long as we've known each other (20 years), but I haven't done much of a sales job, I guess.

AnneG   

Marvin, I think it's very likely Kristy will come to a concert --there are so many good non-musical and musical reasons to go.

Perhaps she needs a good phone-napping.... :)

marvin   

So far the only convincing reasons she's heard have been the other attendees: Paul Stanley, Rick Springfield, Bon Jovi, Steve Van Zandt and Matt Dillon.