Sign in to follow this  
Eric Carmen

Cleveland Institute Of Music: Clayton's First Exam

Clayton, Great work! My sincerest congratulations. Make the absolute most of your gifts. My mom used to tell me, "make it while you're hot, kid because you're cold a long, long time. Scott

Eric,

I remember one day when Ken Sharp and I were at your house and Ken asked about how you played the last few chords on "Starting Over." You went over to the piano, sat down and played it. Just as you finished, Clayton—who was just a toddler at the time—stuck a finger up onto your piano's keyboard and struck a note that was in the same key as the song. You looked at us and remarked, "Hey! He's a natural!"

I guess you were right!

:lol:

JuliaD   

Eric, you must be beaming, what a thrill! So, you ready to let Clayton and his rock band tour the world in a few years? :lol:

Or are you gonna be like Eddie Van Halen and tour *with* Clayton? ;)

AnniekNY   

Congratulations Clayton! When i read the post title, my stomach just flipped and I got nervous for YOU! It is very nice nice to inherit the genes but it was your hard work and dedication that aced that test.

wow eric,came late on this post..congrats to both of you(and momof course!!)..it's a great feeling when you're a parent and feel that burst of pride when a child does well.hard to describe!!! did dad help anytime in the learning process? or did you leave it in the teachers hands?..lol,chris

GMan   

Congratulations Clayton! Keep up the great work! Eric, how happy would you be if your son turns out to pitch as well as he plays piano?? That would be Dad's dream lol!!

Gene   

Great. Even if it is for his on enjoyment and no one else's, a life of music is in his hands and how wonderful that must be.

I would never put any pressure on him. I just think it's wonderful to be able to play an instrument. Actually, he's learning to play the clarinet at school, as well ( and doing pretty darn well at that, too).

ec

• Like 1

angelina   

You know, learning an instrument and music appreciation is so (pardon the pun) under appreciated. Various studies show that music is instrumental (pardon the LAME pun) for developing mathematic skills. Why Music, P.E. and Art get sliced by school budgets drives me crazy :angry::D:angry:

John

BTW...does Clayton throw lefthanded or righthanded (the Mets could use some pitching prospects). ;)

eric,you are a good father..no pressure,just supporting him in what he loves doing..as a parent,that is what your kids will remember you by..now that is truly priceless..lol,chris

Eric Carmen said:

I would never put any pressure on him. I just think it's wonderful to be able to play an instrument. Actually, he's learning to play the clarinet at school, as well ( and doing pretty darn well at that, too).

Eric,

My oldest daughter plays the clarinet at school and plays very well. She was in band this year and they had 2 concerts. I'm glad she wasn't blessed with my "musical abilities" wink or lack therof. She's planning on being in band next year(7th grade)

Laura   

Congratulations Clayton, and to the proud papa! I always wished I had some musical talent, but my talents are in other things. But I'm always envious of those who do have the "music gene"

boopell   

My oldest son started out at 9 on the violin and moved on to clarinet(my old one). Next came trombone and baritone through high school and in the community band after he graduated. He wound up being in the top 5 baritone players in the state. And finally guitar and his own band-he can play by ear and write music. Sadly he gave it all up for his job, wife and the baby on the way. But now he wants to get a teaching degree and teach political science. He'll do great, but he has a real gift and probably will never use it.

It seems the best thing to do for your kid is to lead him/her to activities that they both enjoy AND excell in...Nurture their gift, and later, if they can make a living doing that activity, then your kid has an extra 8 hours a day of happiness that so many people don't enjoy. :)

He had to perform for the three top piano teachers at CIM. His teacher was one of them. He scored a 95 "across the board."

He was nervous in the same way I'm "nervous" before a performance. He's really good under pressure ( the sign of a great performer). Pressure makes him better.

ec

• Like 1

Duane   

Congrats to Clayton and the Carmen Crew.

Eric...does he sing? Maybe you could get him his own Disney show (like Miley Cyrus). Your library of songs is just waiting to be discovered by a new generation. I can see it now...Disney's newest show, "The Adventures of Clayton Cleveland"...or "The Adventures of Clayton in Cleveland"...

I'm just kidding...glad you don't push...support is great but there's not much worse than a parent that pushes their kid into stuff that he or she doesn't want to do.

Muzza   

Firstly may I add my congratulations to Clayton.

And I have a question for Eric. I was wondering if in the learning of other instruments, musicians get a wider appreciation of a particular piece of music. It seems to me (as a non-musician) that the way one would approach a piece of music as a pianist would be different to playing the clarinet. As one who has enjoyed Jazz over the years I have noticed how different instruments interpret a piece of music.

Muzza :cool: