Sign in to follow this  
AnniekNY

Eric: If You Had One Question To Ask US...

Brian   

You are absolutely right,Eric! Cleveland was "our" England! It seems back then, that everyone was closer and we all knew of who played in what band, who ran what club, even who all the promoters were. Late 60's, Cleveland, there were only a handful of great bands around. It seems at that time, everytime I saw Cyrus Erie, Eric,Mike,Wally,etc. was sporting something new that they had just seen from England,whether it be clothes, instruments,songs. Who ever would have EVER heard "Rollin Over" by The Small Faces had The Cyrus Erie not played it? You guys were our pipeline to "coolness" and the outside Pop world.Communications back then was 3 TV networks and a couple radio stations...What we observed when we saw the likes of The Cyrus Erie,or Raspberries, was our portal to the outside Pop culture. A great time to watch careers blossom!!

Would The Beatles have been so successful had George Martin not been there...I sadly doubt it.

Trindy   

I'm adding to this thread late, but I think I can explain to raspathens what Eric meant. (Eric, if I'm wrong, go ahead and correct me--you know what you meant far better than I do.)

I think what Eric meant is that listening to the Beatles Anthology tapes made him realize that the genius of the Beatles' songs was not all 100 percent the Beatles. That George Martin had such an ear for what was "right" that he could listen to something they had written that wasn't quite "right" and tell them how to tweak it in just such a way that would put it over the top.

The repetition of the line "I saw the light" in "No Reply" is such an occasion. John had written the song with the line "I saw the light" only one time and then on to the next line. It wasn't until after he got it into the studio that someone must have told him "You know, this song would be better if you repeated that line 'I saw the light' before going into the next one?" And chances are, it was George Martin. And he was right. Repeating "I saw the light," complete with the crashing guitar sound, really gives the line a chance to sink in, and gives a stronger feeling that hey, this guy is MAD!

When I think of that, it reminds me of the skating choreographer Christopher Dean, who likes to choreograph so that a skater or couple perform a given move two or three times in a row. It has a way of making that move stand out. Once, you might miss it, but see it two or three times and there's a rhythmic symmetry to it. That's how the line "I saw the light" (and its counterpart "No reply!" at the very end of the song) functions: on its own, it doesn't sink in as well as it does if you sing and play "I saw the light! (crunchy angry guitar!) I saw the light!" (crunchy angry guitar)

Someone just instinctively understood this. But the song didn't start that way. Someone must have told John to change it because it would work better.

Dale   

For me I think your music takes me back to very memorable time in my like. I saw you the first time at Channel High School then after that at Chesterland Hullabaloo. I had a lot of good friends and times back then. Would go and sit and talk to Don Parsons then when you guys went on go out and watch the show and dance. I had a lot of frends up there and we would go all over Cleveland together to see you and other favorites.

Your music reminds me or what I was doing and who I was with when I heard it the first time.

Great Music, Great Band, Great Friends, Great Memories. What more could anyone want.

Dale

all great music takes one back to a memorable time..music is the international language..it exceeds race,religion,and brings back emotions that might have been lost in our journey called life..its a great thing,and not many people/bands can do that anymore..but the beries and eric can still do that to us..thus the beautty of this website..rock on people!! lol,chris

Eric, the reason that you and the raspberries have a strong meaning for many people and myself in particular, is that over the years, a certain song or group brings you right back to that moment, as if captured in time. I got into the raspberries in my mid teens and you guys have been there ever since. Through breaking up with girlfriends to meeting that special someone who i married, your music was there. What else can be said. Though I think that the beatles wrote the greatest of songs, i place you right amongst them for the sheer impact that you brought to me and continue to do so with those eternal songs you wrote. We never met or talked but you have spoken to me for over 25 years. Thank You. I'd like to shake your hand sir, and state "JOB WELL DONE"

Eric,

Even though I was born in 1970, I got hooked on your solo recordings when I was 17 and have enjoyed them ever since. I have a few of the Raspberries songs on the Definitive Collection and I think so far my favorite is "Hit Record". But I know that there are many more to listen to and enjoy. I still have the cassette tape of the Greatest Hits that I purchased in 1988(yes, it still works) and listen to it constantly at work along with a couple of other albums that I copied onto tapes. Great Stuff! I never get bored listening to them over and over.

Thank you for everything.

HT from Mo

Muzza,

Thanks for the warm welcome! :) I appreciate it. Sorry I didn't respond earlier - much too busy posting on other topics!! HA!

I look forward to getting to know everyone here on the board. I have already laughed so hard at some of the posts that my sides have hurt!

Thanks again!

HT from Mo

LC   
I noticed PlainJane's question in the Shout Box about whether it's okay to comment on older threads. Absolutely — and it's recommended. I'll occasionally dig through back threads for memorable comments and exchanges, and a few others do it too. It's sort of like re-reading a favorite book or magazine. This particular thread is a good example. So... newer members might want to click through to page 1, sit back, and enjoy the nostalgia blitz.

Plus, there are lots of EC.com friends past and present on this thread, which in itself can provide a mini-nostalgia-blitz for longtime members.

(One thing that struck me is that I never actually responded to Eric's question, so I'll have to get it done, but it'll have to wait until later this week. Heck, after six-plus years, what's a few more days?)

One of the reasons for keeping EVERY post up on this board is the treasure-trove of information that exists in it—both from knowledgable fans as well as from Eric himself. It's fun to see an old thread dug up and dusted off!

Without any new recordings, concerts or posts from the Boss, things have been quite around here for a while. But that's the nature of the beast. I'm a fan for life and that means I'm here to stay—as is EricCarmen.com—regardless of whether things are jumping or snoozing.

Bernie

James   

I don't remember this thread, but am going to read through it. Great initial post by Annie.

I may take a stab with you LC at answering Eric's question.

James

Kirk   

Reading this thread again was like listening to Boats Against The Current-"...and we keep remembering when"- :)

Crazy...I never saw this thread...good stuff in here...to answer the original question by Eric...

Melody, melody, melody....later as my musicianship improved, I was thrown by the progressions and arrangements. Eric makes twists and turns that are unexpected, yet deliciously addictive to the ear and soul. Lyrically there are may other artists that have "blown me away" much more than any EC or Berries compositions, BUT the combination of lyrics webbed with melody is beautifully done in most of EC/Berries stuff.

As a musician, there is always something to discover in each and every recording. I still think that Eric's music would be most effective stripped down to simple productions. Eric has one of the greatest rock and roll voices out there...every note has a meaning and it stabs you if you are prepared to listen with your heart.

I am also very fond of Wally'S playing. He reminds me of Townsend, playing guitar like it was a piano...using inversions and phrasing that is very un-guitar-like. Listen to Dave's bass lines too, they are heavily McCartney influenced, but sweet indeed...

I only wish that the recording were cleaner and less distorted....of course if I were to hear them with a different mix, or recorded properly at the source, I may not like it!

Either way, I never get tired of most of the material.

A

I read this whole thread posted 2 years before I even joined this group. It was GREAT!

Gee. How would I answer this considering I didn't become a fan until I walked out of a 'Berries concert where my goal was only to do 2 things, one being to finally hear "Let's Pretend" live.

OH!

The music has a great beat...and you can dance to it. I know. Because I can pop on my CD or log into Youtube, pick a song and dance to it in my bedroom, or family room, or kitchen when I am baking.

I do it all the time. If you've not done it, I highly recommend that you give it a whirl. It will make you smile, and tingle in places that only tingle when you are really having fun! :)

Found this more-than-10-year-old thread while I was cleaning up things and thought it deserved a bump. Long-time EC.com Members answer Eric's question: "Why do think the Berries have endured?" Great reading then, great reading now...

Bernie

Kirk   
On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2012 at 1:26 AM, Raspbernie said:

One of the reasons for keeping EVERY post up on this board is the treasure-trove of information that exists in it—both from knowledgable fans as well as from Eric himself. It's fun to see an old thread dug up and dusted off!

Without any new recordings, concerts or posts from the Boss, things have been quite around here for a while. But that's the nature of the beast. I'm a fan for life and that means I'm here to stay—as is EricCarmen.com—regardless of whether things are jumping or snoozing.

Bernie

It has been a few years since I read (re-read) this thread...still brings back all the emotion and laughs...oh, and Bernie- I may have to reminder you of this quote the next time you're thinking about shutting down the message board;)

• Like 1