Sign in to follow this  
AnniekNY

Eric: If You Had One Question To Ask US...

AnniekNY   

Darlene, wouldn't it be "lemonade lovely" if a certain beloved musician who is gearing up for a solo show stole you away from your boss to play at a certain hall in Cleveland on a lovely autumn evening?????????

Dream about that and let me drive down to Joisee and deal with the boss while you're away - the perfect alibi!!!!!!

Yes! We have mentioned it to her, But Darlene said she'd rather sit back and enjoy the evening, than the stress of doing Eric's tunes proper justice. Sounds like a politician's response, while waiting to be asked to run...

Maybe she could do a guest intro viola/violin solo on a tune or two, like "Desperate Fools" then the rest of the orchestra comes in... :)

darlene   

One can't just "show up" amidst the Cleveland Pops and expect to play. Somewhere (in this thread?) I explained the complexities of the local unions and the audition process that has to happen (and can happen only certain times during the year).

It wouldn't be stressful at all to play Eric's charts--it would be divine! But I would be oh-so-tempted to watch him instead of read the chart. Of course, I'd read it, but I'm dying to sit in that audience too.

Now, to quote Cher, "If I Could Turn Back Time" to about a year ago and have someone successfully clone me, I'd send the clone to audition for the Cleveland Pops and join the union, then I'd sit in the audience and enjoy the show. But, alas, even Cher can't "turn back time."

:) --D

DRR   

As a young Clevelander, I was lucky enough to see you play quite regularly at my old high school (Channel, Bedford) and Chesterland Hullabaloo. At first, I was impressed at how well Raspberries covered other great tunes (Beatles, Badfinger, and even the harder edged material of the day). I was even more impressed as the band began presenteing orignal material and moved into the national spotlight. So for me, the songs have stood the test of time because I knew the band ALWAYS delivered in performances -- and the originals stood among the best of the songs you guys covered. It is nice to see you all now getting the respect you truly deserve. Time does tell the real story...

If you could be so trite

then it would be all right

to turn on the light to your trite

and if the trite ain't right

we can stay up all night

with the trite country moon in our sight

(this would be the bridge to something so trite that the writers might write)

darlene   

DRR, A HUNDRED WELCOMES TO YOU!!! Wow, what a fine first post! It's great that you are a lurker no more! Enjoy this fantastic website!

:) --Darlene

DRR   

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I've been amazed at the growing international community supporting both Eric Carmen and the Raspberries. I have been a fan for decades and realize now how I took for granted the days when they were playing my hometown circuit. They were always great, gracious, and fun to see and hear. It's nice to see that the world knows it now. I'm not too prolific in these forums -- just wanted to say thanks to EC, the rest of the Raspberries, and all the fans for keeping the momentum going. Thanks.

amen fellow ohioan and berrie fanatic!!! we must unite to promote THE best thing to come out of ohio....THE RASPBERRIES...no,NOT michael stanley(sorry mike,they got u beat hands down)..sorry,got carried away...but i DO BELIEVE IT!!!! lol,chris

Annette   

I hope I'm not too late for this. As a newcomer who 'discovered' Eric Carmen and his Raspberries just last autumn I'm not much of an expert, but I'm working on it.

I must confess the first time I heard the Raspberries I wasn't very impressed. Maybe because it was so simple. Yet, the more I listened to it the more I liked what I was hearing. I have come to the conclusion the Raspberries performed 'PURE' music. By 'pure' I mean none of this high-tech equipment stuff was used to influence the music, if for better or worse. And this is what I find makes the band today so interesting. What we hear playing are REAL HONEST MUSICIANS.

darlene   

ANNETTE, A HUNDRED WELCOMES TO YOU!!! You will learn so much and be an expert in just a short time! And you're going to love this website!

Congratulations on becoming a Raspberries/Eric fan! It doesn't matter when you get it, but *that* you got it!

Have fun and enjoy all the activities here. You'll be able to ask questions that Eric will personally answer. How cool is that?! :cool:

:) --Darlene

Kia ora Annette. Greetings from New Zealand.A very warm welcome and we hope you will have as much fun in this "madcap family" that is EC.Com. as the rest of us do.

Cheers

Kiwi and Muzza

aka Marilyn and Murray.

Annette   

Thanks for the very warm welcome and I'm glad to be a part of this new 'family'. I've been keeping for quite a few months now an eye on this web site just reading the messages and observing what is going on here. Usually they just leave a smirk on my face. So this is good. Yes, Darlene, I do find it 'cool' that Eric actively takes part on these pages. I must say this is very noble and down to earth of him.

The Canadian Connection

Ecstasy   

That's how I started, too. I just watched and listened for awhile. Then it happens...the addiction starts. After that there's no hope and you're hooked! Welcome!

AnniekNY said:

OK, Eric, NOW after 10 pages of this post...why do think the Berries have endured?

Um...Could it be...because of the puppetmasters Bernie and Ken...selling us on a myopic myth with a barrage of propoganda that would make Joseph Goebbels proud...because we are so memory-challenged from so much marijuana consumed in the late 60s/ early 70s, that we can't remember how it really was back then?...

Just kidding... :)

My one reason : This superbly crafted music has not an ounce of pretense to it. I'll elaborate. These songs are elegant expressions of emotion that reach us deeply. There is nothing phony about them. The Internet and this Board have validated this appreciation by allowing us to find like minded devotees. Remember wondering if there were others (in any real number) who were also blown away by this music? I sure do. Those days are gone. We are no longer all by ourselves.

For me, it is a combination of things.

One, the songs are fantastic.

Two, the performances are great.

Three, the sound/production is unique. This can really make or break a recording in my opinion. While the Raspberries' records were low-fidelity, it was a perfect sound for those songs, and it wouldn't have been the same without it. Imagine Carole King's Tapestry album in full-fidelity with 80's or 90's production hallmarks. The "soul" of the record that gave it much of its genuine, down-home character and helped make it so endearing would be gone, and it would suck in comparison. The Raspberries sound added much to the music.

Four, The lyrics are relatable across a wide age range. From my teens to my mid 30's, I can still listen and connect.

Five, the performances themselves feel genuine and heartfelt/

Six, each bandmember brought their own unmistakeable flavor to the sound and to the songwriting that just clicks together perfectly- despite the obvious differences in style and influence.

Seven, the Raspberries were gone from the scene for 30 years. A mystique developed, for me anyway. Listening to those records for 20-some-odd years, and all of the memories I associated with them for such a long time, without the band being visible, and without being able to share the experience with others (by that I mean... until I joined this message board I knew no-one that also was intimately familiar with the Raspberries music and had years of personal nostalgia associated with the music) made the music very personal to me.