Sign in to follow this  
pierre

"How Terribly Strange To Be 70"

pierre   

This was a line from Simon and Garfunkel's "Old Friends", from 1968 or thereabouts. I recently listened to their new-ish reunion concert CD and heard that song, and of course the line has an added resonance now that the singers are approaching the age of 70. Paul Simon almost certainly did not anticipate singing that song at such an age.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, Paul McCartney is turning 64 this year...a number that must have seemed impossibly distant for him in 1967. Pete Townshend wanted to "die before I get old". And I'm sure we've all heard the anecdote about Mick Jagger refusing to sing Satisfaction once he reached his 40s.

So, my question is, are there any similar anecdotes/lyrics in the Raspberries/Carmen canon? Or, perhaps more interestingly, any lyrics that the author no longer wishes to sing?

ira   

Pierre- I bought that reunion cd and I thought they sang like they WERE 70.Even the cool punchy stuff-"I Am A Rock","At The Zoo","Hazy Shade of Winter",was-excuse my French-all"Folked-Up".Some of these original tunes rocked as 45's and on this cd they didn't.Whaddayou think/-Ira.

pierre   

Ira,

I borrowed this CD from the library. I did not subsequently purchase it...which probably says it all. I found much of it to be lifeless.

To be fair, I much prefer solo Paul Simon to Simon & Garfunkel. His solo work (particularly after One-Trick Pony) has been adventurous and interesting. It got me hooked on world music too.

I was quite disappointed to see the ticket prices for the Simon & Garfunkel tour. They were much higher than for his solo tour, despite the fact that (from my perspective) it was for an inferior product.

I'm glad to see that he has a new album coming out in May, and that a tour will follow. That's one I'll definitely have to see. My wife has never seen him live, but she really likes his Live in Paris DVD (from 2000's You're The One tour).

Tom   

Carrying on with Eric's post....

It seems to me that Rock and Roll has always flirted with the notion of youthful sexuality...certainly not old age.

" You looked too young to know about romance...but when you smiled I had to take a chance and be with you Tonight...."

Sweet Little Sixteen...Well she was just seventeen, you know what I mean...She's too cute to be a minute over seventeen...sexy and seventeen.....

A veritable gaggle of illegal desire :)