ira

Cool Lead Vocals

ira   

Eric you've talked about musical artists you enjoy and respect.

But I wondered...What are some records that you feel have irreplaceable lead vocals that make these records into "3 or 4 Minute Classics".

To all my cyber-buddies I'd love to see some of your picks as well.

Please-Let's all list only 3-5 songs so we don't use up songs others may wanna post.

"MY STARTER LIST"..

1-"DOO WAH DIDDY"-Paul Jones' vocal MAKES this song!

2"KICKS"-Mark Lindsay kicks ass!

3-"LONG COOL WOMAN"-Allan Clarke is amazing!(And it ain't even my favorite Hollies'song."Bus Stop" is my favorite,but it's more of a group harmony effort IMHO.)

4-"TIME OF THE SEASON"-Colin Blunstone does a pretty good job-Ya Think?

Hope to hear from you Eric and all you EC.comers with some of your choices.-Ira.

Ha! you just name 4 of my favorite singers. I'd take Blunstone singing 'She's Not There' or 'Whenever You're Ready'...Jones singing 'Pretty Flamingo' and Clarke singing 'Honey and Wine'. As For Lindsey...'Kicks' may be the pick.

"Baby It's You" - Smith

The versions by the Shirelles & Beatles are nice, Gayle McCormick's vocals takes the song to a whole new level.

"Reach Out I'll Be There" - 4 Tops

Levi Stubbs at his absolute finest. The emotion and sense of urgency in his voice make this song a classic.

MJ   

I Like it Like That - DC5 - Mike Smith's vocals are very gutsy - so much better than the original version. Ira I agree with 1, 3, and 4 songs....

Crg2   

Anything Colin Blunstone sings makes a good song better.

Steve Marriott singing "Afterglow"

Macca belting on "I'm Down"

I like Mark Lindsey's voice on the "Judge GTO Breakaway" Theme. Just very direct, unaffected, and cool!!

Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction

Not an incredible song, but the vocals express an escalating pent up anger coming through more and more through each verse.

Del Shannon - Runaway

Again, the vocals take an average song and put it over the top.

I believe both were done in one take.

But there is one vocal perfomance that blows everything I've seen posted. Everyone know what is referred to as Elvis's 68 comeback special, black leather etc. Well in between the first takes and preparation for the show, and the final airing around Christmas.. Bobby Kennedy and Martin Lutheran King were shot. Colonol Parker and the network wanted Elvis to close with a Christmas song. Elvis wanted to acknowledge the assasinations and commisioned for a song to be written that he could close with. I don't recall if Elvis co-wrote it or not but it's called "If I Can Dream", and he's in a white suite. It's also an escalating vocal performance, but by the end it's an out of the park vocal home run. Check it out.

Eric what do you think?

My picks are:

Me & Mrs. Jones by Billy Paul - nobody can sing this like he does. Sultry and sexy.

Just You and Me - Peter Cetera - one of my all-time favorites from Chicago.

Layla - both versions from Eric Clapton - I think he is one of the best guitarists in the world. I just love this song.

Pride and Joy - the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn.

and last.... Eric Carmen singing I Wanna Be With You from the Hangin with the Raspberries VH1 clip!!!

marvin   
Seattle Steve said:

But there is one vocal perfomance that blows everything I've seen posted. Everyone know what is referred to as Elvis's 68 comeback special, black leather etc. Well in between the first takes and preparation for the show, and the final airing around Christmas.. Bobby Kennedy and Martin Lutheran King were shot. Colonol Parker and the network wanted Elvis to close with a Christmas song. Elvis wanted to acknowledge the assasinations and commisioned for a song to be written that he could close with. I don't recall if Elvis co-wrote it or not but it's called "If I Can Dream", and he's in a white suite. It's also an escalating vocal performance, but by the end it's an out of the park vocal home run. Check it out.

Right on Steve! "If I Can Dream" (written by Earl Brown), is one of Elvis' greatest vocal performances. A fabulous song, given a fabulous treatment.

"There must be lights burning brighter somewhere

Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue

If I can dream of a better land,

Where all my brothers walk hand in hand

Tell me why, oh why, oh why cant my dream come true"

Marv

ira   

My buddy Mel just reminded me that Burton Cummings' vocal on "American Woman" is unbelievable.

If you need reminding see "Superbad" where one of the nerdy kids is coerced into singing it by some threatening,stoned older guys...and a coupla minutes later we hear Burton doing the real thing.

(Ya know in a completely different style "She's Come Undone" is a superlative Burton Cummings performance as well.-Ira.)

Elvis, "If I Can Dream" live is reminiscent of the heartfelt passion of Eric doing "Boats" live.

Re: Burton Cummings. He is known as "the voice". I don't think anyone could do justice covering his material vocally.

MJ   

Ira & Hollies65 - at the end of this You Tube link is Gerry & the Pacemakers, Freddie & The Dreamers and then Manfred Mann doing Do Wah Diddy from The British Invasion video (which I actually own a copy of)....I wish it was not an abbreviated version of Do Wah Diddy but here it is.......

I had a major crush on Burton Cummings in the late 70's.

I saw him opening for America (I think) he blew them away.

He was so much better, I can't remember any of America's performance.

I had No idea who he was - I was told he was some "old rocker" from some group that broke up. :cool:

The day after the concert I bought everything I could find.

What a voice!

I agree that Burton Cummings has a great voice.

I love These Eyes and No Time.

Some more that I think have cool lead vocals are:

Doesn't Remind Me and Original Fire by Audioslave. Chris Cornell is fantastic on these.

and of course the ever classic...Pittsburgh Steelers Polka" by Jimmy Psihoulis. :lol:

pierre   

You could mention almost everything Queen did with Freddie Mercury.

This becomes patently obvious when you watch "We Will Rock You" (the current Queensploitation musical)...nobody can compare to Freddy's range and theatricality. Queen had a lot of substandard material, but Freddie made it sound a lot better. And on their good stuff, he "knocks it out of the park".

Although I greatly respect his studio performances, I don't care for his live work (or his personality, from the interviews I've seen).

James   

Nice thread.  Good bump Lew.

Burton Cummings is hard to beat vocal wise.  And his best performance (IMHO) is on "I Will Play A Rhapsody" from his 3rd solo album.  I thought it about it some after reading through this thread and I can't think of another artist who could sing it anywhere near the level he does.  He is very underrated.

And still going strong, touring/playing small venues and seemingly (from his posts on facebook) enjoying the poop out of it !...

James

James   

P.S.  Lew, "Everytime I think of you" is my favorite of that dude's.  When I was in college I played that song on the jukebox every time I went to the Greenery Pub.  Every time.  So great.

susie b   

Gene Clark   I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better

Carl Wilson  God Only Knows

Ronnie Spector  Walking In The Rain

Joey Ramone   The KKK Took My Baby Away  or   I Wanna Be Sedated

Nick Lowe      So It  Goes   or  Cruel To Be Kind

Elvis Costello   Pump It Up

Johnette Napolitano   Joey