Sign in to follow this  
Eric Carmen

Raspberries.net

4 4 6 TWO! YES! Good to see you share your insights here again, Marvin! A Big Wet Welcome Back Canadian Kiss!

Now, can I share with the others what secrets you told me about Bush and Iraq? Please? wink

LC   

James (from the last page)--I'm a fan of yours too. Nothing personal in our back-and-forth banter, I know.

And I'm glad you didn't use the "comeback" that Cartmill suggested. You have better sense than to listen to that West Coast troublemaker!

:)

mannoman   

Welcome back Marv.

We don't know, nor do we need to know, the inner 'workings' of the band. We haven't lived it. It is none of our business. They will sort it out, or not.

Either way it is not up to us, the die-hard fans, to get involved. These guys know full well how we feel about them. Let's step back, give them all some space. They are not children. Let them work it out.

What ever they decide, so be it. It won't change my love for the band. I'll be here/there "come hell or high water."

this chain of events in the last few days in a weird way should show everybody agree or disagree,is exactly like a bad fight in any one of our families..but from what i have read..it comes down to compassion,fierce love for this band that will never leave our hearts and souls..not many bands can have that effect..w/exception of the beatles,what i'm saying is the best of families disagree,fight,say some hurtful things that can be forgiven,not always forgot..but it all comes back to the love of the berries music which we all share..and that should never go away no matter what..just like a family think about it..lol,chris

MAM   

I have to agree with Ted. Whatever they do, it's up to them. They, for sure, know how we feel about them. I was a fan long before most people ever heard of them, and I'll be a fan until I breath no more, no matter what happens. :(

Laura   

I agree with Ted and Mike. There is nothing gained by guessing, criticizing or otherwise trying to interpret who's right and who's wrong. There are two sides to all stories and everyone has they're own interpretations to everything. Let it be, and lets get on with life. I don't need the grief.

HEYYY!!! MARV!!!! How dare you step in out of hibernation and steal my thunder???? I had a perfectly good string going, with Cartman's classic humour adding fuel to the fire and Darlene the educator gaining a positive "10" from Cartman!!! You had to come and give us a piece of your wise and sage mind huh??? LOL...you da man bro!!

Children, listen to Marvin, he is the EC board's guru of knowledge, wisdom and sanity...he keeps us on the even keel while Bernie fights off the catfights and the termites threatening to tear down his glorious house-of-EC. (thank god for Bernie)

All the characters here on the board are passionate people...that makes this place special. In the end, it's all about the music...

bahooey

steve-o   

Welcome back Marvin. As is usually the case your insights are right on track.

Its been an interesting, yet, very sad disscussion, both here and on the Raspberries site. Whether or not Kay's viewpoints have any validity I think she crossed the line. When you moderate a website that represents an entity, in this case the Raspberries, you must remain objective. That not to say you can't be critical (Bernie hasn't always agreed with Eric) but one must walk that very thin line between objectivity and subjectivity. Clearly that has not been the case here.

Like I said earlier I hope the band can resolve the issues and move on. Pop music, what's left of it, is much richer having the berries involved then not.

Hope you have an enjoyable trip to Florida for your Easter vacation.

Regards,

Steve-O

Frankly, I don't care what goes on "behind closed doors" because as far as I could tell those guys were having the time of their lives each and every time they stepped on stage. What else matters more when you're IN a band? Just watching Wally and Eric singing together on "Don't Wanna Say Goodbye" or "Come Around And See Me," or watching Eric putting his back right up to Wally's as he ripped through his lead on "I'm A Rocker" is proof enough for me that those boys were meant to be together. And they will be. Like Townshend and Daltrey. Like Jagger and Richards. This band kicked ass from November 2004 through October 2005! And if you ask me, I still AM fucking optimistic!

Bernie

If this was anybody besides Wally's wife, it would be of no importance. Because it is Wally's wife we run the danger of alienating him over lashing out against her comments. It's a no-win situation. The best thing that can be done here is nothing, let the comments go. This is between Eric and Wally and Dave and Jim. Those four guys have to work it out enough to work together...

I know this is going to become the thread that never ends because even when everybody agrees to shut up; we'll all have to join in on the choruses of Shhhhh!!!

'Nuff said on my part, anything else just pours gas on this fire...

bernie,that's exactly what i wanted to say when i posted..i found i have to stay positive...which as of a couple days ago...i didn't!!!..bad things happen to people..nobody here on this site OR that site deserve to go thru this as a family!!lol,chris

stringer   

A band is like a marriage of however many members there are. Then throw in the fact that they are artists trying to express themselves, and you can't help having little disagreements now and then.

Anybody getting in the middle of band members is like trying to save a girlfriend from her lover, it only makes things worse.

That's why I have so much respect for bands like the stones, etc. for their staying power. It takes understanding band members and real work to keep everyone happy.

I'm just so glad the Raspberries got together, looked great together, and sounded so good. That takes alot of team work, and I can appreciate it.

Raspberries fans have alot to be thankful for. I've been an EC, Raspberries fan for a long time and I can't think of anything that tops the Raspberries reunion tour.

Thanks Eric :)

As I recall some weeks ago, thoughts on the Choir shows in Cleveland. I felt somewhat assured by Mr. Krider that further "tensions" between the band were not not the case. The Choir had been sought out by the venue, enough said, I guess (again Don, no disagreement at that time here). While not in on the "inside" as some folks here seem to be, a pattern has seemed to be happening again. Thoughts, at that time in late February, of Mr. Carmen being left holding the bag (again), were tossed away. I have no idea of how this latest controversy has evolved, but it would be nice for EC's comments to take a hold on this issue. I'm hoping that we are not going back to a writing credit for Go All The Way. Perhaps that could be resolved on a new live CD/DVD?

Great comments Bernie. I think its wonderful when to disperate personalities can have such a great creative history together and similar vision. In fact, some would say from a marketing perspectiveR Raspberries could have made more of that contrast between Wally and Eric. IMHO, The best thing would be for the band to book into BB Kings NYC for a weekend and show they're going to get beyond it and let the music speak for itself. I am sure we would all be there. But I must say I am sure all fans wouldnt mind if all four of the guys cut up a bit between songs, because the tremendous energy, discipline, hardwork and respect becomes clear as soon as the song begins.

Yes, people are going to have some strong opinions about this for sure. Though I think some posters are really confusing the issues of a person's right to express their opinions, even based on insider knowledge vs. the method and manner of expressing the information. I dont have any issues with Kay, or anyone else, holding and expressing very strong opinions but am shocked, as many are, at the inapprpriate methodology. Some things are just wrong, and in our on-going cultural relativism we are always looking for ways to say they are not wrong. We are also building a culture where its not politically correct to argue about anything, except within certain parameters.

What I was attempting to point out is that I already thought there was going to be a problem based upon an analysis of her previous writings and how that site was developing away from the Raspberries and about her. Others hold different beliefs and enjoyed her writings and positions. Heh, thats ok, no problem.

Marvin, good to see youre writing. Maybe we should talk about the upcoming NHL playoffs instead of all this? Wisconsin won the NCAA championship last night, go Badgers! Montreal is my seocnd favorite team after Detroit. I love Montreal, team and city. I wish Montreal would win sometime soon, it would be good for hockey as a whole.

I'm thinking again...Maybe one phone call from Kay to Eric to express her feelings privately might have gone a long way...

I'm thinking again...In reality, Eric holds the majority of the power for the past, present an future Raspberries projects. it might not be fair, but that's the way it is. So Eric must be happy with what they are putting out, and the way they are putting it out, or the Raspberries thing will just fizzle.

But with the power, also comes more responsibilty. And more diplomacy if you want to have things go smoothly.

...Part of that "Compassionate Control Freak" thing I was talking about earlier... ;)

I know, I know, "Blah Blah Blah Blah..."

I am in full agreement with Tony's thoughts and perspective on this situation as posted. Again, I am hoping that this is not a Go All The Way writing (or lack of) credit from 35 years ago. As Don would know, I am a bit skeptical about the future, but do agree with Tony's thoughts on this from a pure "ownership" level. I think Eric has conveyed his desire for Raspberries to keep moving ahead, despite some well documented obstacles. I think a Raspberries show, soon, anywhere, might be the answer as indicated in a previous post.

When I was a kid, I used to go to Severance Hall and watch the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra rehearse. They let me sit on stage with them. At that time (mid to late 1950's) they were considered the finest symphony in the world under the leadership of George Szell, their conducter. Szell hand-picked every one of the hundred or so musicians in the orchestra from the best musicians in the world. My Aunt Muriel was one of the first three women to make the cut.

The music they performed was written by the some of the greatest geniuses that have ever lived, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, Brahms, Debussy etc. These composers wrote every note and EVERY NUANCE directly onto the page. The score contains not only the notes for every instrument, but instructions on how each note should be played, from the tempo to the volume to the expressiveness to the amount of vibrato.

So, we have a hundred or so of the greatest musicians in the world reading notes written by the greatest geniuses that have ever lived. It should sound perfect, but it doesn't. That's because, without the conductor, each musician would be interpreting what he or she thought the composer was going for, but their perception might be just a bit different from the musician sitting next to them. Multiply that by one hundred and you've got a train wreck.

The orchestra needs one person to bring a complete "vision" of what the piece should be. That person is the conductor. He alone decides what direction the piece should take and must translate that vision to the entire orchestra. If his vison is good, and his communication with the orchestra is good, and he is a good leader, then the outcome will be a great performance.

George Szell was a notoriously tough taskmaster, but the Orchestra loved him. He pushed them to play at their highest level, he would not accept less. This has always been my job within the band. I don't have a hundred musicians and we don't write out the music and read it off the page, but it's basically the same job. I have to hear every note being played and sung, and try to articulate to a group of fine musicians anything I can think of that might make it better.

I'm a perfectionist so I ALWAYS think we can make it better. I don't think of music as static. I think of it as constantly evolving. Listen to the record of "I'm A Rocker" and then listen to the "Live performance" when it's released, and you'll see what I mean. Oh, I suppose we could just play what's was on the record, but I think it rocks BETTER than the record now. That's what I'm going for.

Every performance better than the last. Learning from every performance. Fixing mistakes. Continually striving to be better. Never being complacent. Never accepting "good enough." The job was not designed to win a popularity contest. I'm as diplomatic as I can possibly be. I would do cartwheels not to offend anyone. You can't get a great performance with a battering ram. I respect and care about every person on that stage. I HATE bombing and I HATE polite applause and I HATE mediocrity. I want our music to be transcendent.

That may make me a little like George Szell, but I think it's also why, thirty years later, you're all still here. ec

Mr. Carmen, I don't think that the exactness of your statements were articulated in Marathon Man. My thanks for your continued efforts to make it all right. Being part of the culture you spoke of as a child, it would make everything else that has played (or will be played) out, that much more easier for your fans to understand, Thank you again for everything you have touched in your brillient career!