Sign in to follow this  
mellie

How Do You Feel When It's Over?

mellie   

Eric, I've never seen you perform solo, but whenever you, Dave, Wally and Jim are on stage, you all look like you're having the time of your life. Anytime I've had to get up in front of people, regardless of how well I do, my first thought away is "Thank God that's over!" Considering your reputation for perfectionism, how do you generally feel when the curtain closes? Do you keep the adrenaline rush and think "Man, that was fun!", walk away remembering everything that went wrong, or something else?

Reflecting back on the reunion tour, what were the stage highlights for you?

(Same question for the rest of the band and Overdubs - if they would like to chime in.)

mellie   

Thanks Eric (after 20 hours of work and only a couple of way too short breaks, I have this image in my mind of your head spinning inside a front-load washing machine  and a dying urge to ask if you got it fixed???) :D Really - thank you for responding. I'm serious. I really am.

I would like to hear about the stage highlights, and Chris - of course the other musicians here should absolutely share their personal experiences.

Back to work - only one more interview before sleep! yippee!!!

sllvnbil   

Hi Mellie, That is a good question. Some shows are better than others. Most the time, if things like the sound, guitar amps, monitors etc are working well and if the band is on top of their game and if it's a great audience, sure, we'll walk away feeling pretty good about the show. Most of the Raspberries shows were like that for me. We'd play the last song and I'd be ready to play more. I'm now on the road w Gary Lewis here in Branson, MO. We played yesterday's show and there was an old lady, really old,, looked like she 90 or something,, a real boiler!!! She was holding her ears from the moment we started! The look of sheer hatred was coming from her eye sockets! Granted, Gary Lewis & the Playboys are not "Blue Cheer" or "System Of A Down", but, he still is a 60's rock n roll performer and his band is still a rock n roll band. THAT was one of those gigs that i was thinking "Thank God It Was Over!!!!!!" Just about any bar gig I do in Cleveland anymore, I'm thinking usually that I can't wait till it's done. I don't think that there's any 90 year old "boilers" on this message board. If so, I'm sorry!!! Billy Sullivan {Overdub}

This is multiple answers for multiple bands. First I'll start with the Raspberries shows. I ALWAYS want to play more or make every moment last for the simple fact that everytime we take the stage, I know we're fulfilling a lifelong dream for that one fan that may be out there that has never seen the band in 30 years or so or may be discovering the music for the first time. To me, that's a very exhilirating and satisfying feeling to know that. When it's a Tequila Sunrise gig, I always look forward to greeting the fans afterwards and get their reaction from the show. After doing a KISS tribute show, there's only one thing I'm thinking of... I can't WAIT to get out of this soaked, sweat filled costume with blisters on my toes from the 8" platforms, taking the makeup off, getting a hot shower and crawling into my sweats and going to bed. I'm so exhausted physically due to the high energy of the show. I certainly have the utmost respect and admiration for Gene, Paul, Ace, and Peter everytime they took the stage. To see how much they gave it their all EVERY single night is a testament to the longevity of their band. And I'm absolutely amazed they are still doing it well into their 50's. And Paul, no less, doing it the last 4 years with a bad hip that has needed 3 surgeries to try and correct.

Paul

Jeff   
Paul Sidoti said:

And Paul, no less, doing it the last 4 years with a bad hip that has needed 3 surgeries to try and correct.

This I know. I see him very often at the Starbucks on the top of Beverly Glen in L.A., where I sometimes take up office for a few hours in a day. He must live near there. We've become "hello" aquaintances. It's painful to watch him walk, so slow, cane and all. I cannot imagine the pain he would have to feel recently on stage!