Sign in to follow this  
LC

Ask the Overdubs?

LC   

I hope no one minds if I slip in a question for the Overdubs. (I've enjoyed reading Billy's and Paul's posts elsewhere on the board, especially regarding fave guitarists and guitars).

Anyway... Being on stage with Raspberries doing those songs had to be enough of a thrill. But if you had to choose a single "most memorable" moment --- a magical instant that might have seemed "otherworldly" --- at any of the Raspberries shows, what would it be?

Also, was there any one song that stood out as the most challenging to deliver? (I was listening to "Let's Pretend" for the 7 millionth time and thinking, "with those harmonies, that had to be fun for Raspberries, with Overdubs, to deliver).

Apologies if you've already hit on these questions before....

Great questions, LC. There are so many moments from the reunion, too numerous to mention but I'll touch on a few.

During rehearsal one time, Wally had some serious sleep deprivation. He was up very early that day and towards the end of rehearsal, he had gotten quite giddy and had the giggles. We were running through "It Seemed So Easy" and he started to dance around and make these very funny poses after doing each of his guitar licks. He was laughing and in turn, I started cracking up as did Jennifer. Jim saw it and he started laughing. It took half the song for Eric and Dave to realize what was going on and when they saw me in tears from laughing so hard, they turned around to see Wally and immediately started cracking up. The look on Eric's face was priceless. He, along with the rest of us could barely sing as we were all laughing hysterically while still playing the song.

Another great rehearsal moment for me was the second time we ran through "I Don't Know What I Want". Eric held back on the first run-through but the second time we played it, he did those high screams and it literally peaked everything on the mixing console. The hair on the back of my neck and arms stood straight out. The combination of Jim's sheer power on drums and Wally driving the song with that double neck at full volume was incredible. After that, everytime we played it live it gave me that same feeling so that is my favorite song in the set. I believe it really captures Raspberries power pop in all it's glory.

There were so many 'hangin' out' moments that were just as cool. Just traveling together, the dinners, sitting by the pool chatting, it was all a great time. The VH1 Classic weekend was surely the topper. For myself to have two of my heroes watching me play (Paul Stanley and Rick Springfield) was equally thrilling.

Maybe someday I'll write a book about it.. hehehe..

Paul

LC   

That's awesome! I love that kind of insight---a side of "the boys" that most don't get to hear about.

I couldn't help but laugh while reading your Wally story.. And you've probably sent half the board to their CD players to cue up "I Don't Know What I Want." (It would be fun to compare Jim's drumming on the [i hope] forthcoming Live Raspberries CD to Mike McBride's reading on the original....)

Thanks for that response, Paul!

LC   

I dig the Overdubs, and that's just based on the limited video footage I've seen, plus their comments in Bernie's books and on the board. It's obvious they love Raspberries' music.

They remind me of Paul McCartney's band. Those guys are solid as a rock, and they also seem absolutely giddy to be playing in Mac's band. I loved a quote I saw from the lead guitarist, Rusty Anderson: "Who could have dreamed in a gazillion years that I would be ultra-insanely luck-blessed and super-gold-dusted enought to meet Paul McFriggin McCartney? And to actually play guitar with him?"

Anyway, I get that same sense of excitement from the 'dubs. Paul's anecdotes above tell the story.

Hope we get to hear a bit from Billy... and maybe Jennifer, if she's out there?

PS: Paul--I noticed Eric listed you and Billy among his favorite guitarists. Now THERE's a page worth printing out and framing! (Make him autograph it, too!) :-)

sllvnbil   

So many great moments, it's hard to pick one. I remember Paul's story. That was funny! One funny moment for me was in Wisconsin after the Waukesha show. Right outside the hotel was a hamburger joint that sold "butter burgers". I remember going there after a few drinks w Dave, Me, Jennifer, Ernie, Paul. We all were feeling pretty good and just ordering those burgers were funny within itself "I would like a double all beef bacon butter butt burger please!!!!!" From that point on, we were in hysterics!!!! They were about to close and then here we come,,,ready for a butter burger!!! New Year's Eve at the hotel bar in Cleveland singing around the piano,, that was fun!! As fars as the shows, obviously the very first show was a great moment. I really dug the Chicago show!!! I've always loved playing in Chicago!!! The New York weekend was all great for me. The LA show was probably the least favorite of the shows for me because in the back of my mind, I kinda knew that this would probably be the last show for a while. Plus, I was slightly depressed knowing that right after the LA show, I was boarding a plane bound for Manila and everyone else {including my wife} was going to Cleveland. I was starting to miss everyone already!!! In this short period of time that we spent together, I feel we all {Raspberries & crew} became a "family" of sorts. No matter what we move on to in our professional endevors, I feel that this "family" bond we have will always remain and we'll always be ready to regroup and do it all again when the oppurtunity arises! Rock On Raspberries!!!!!!

Ted,

Couldn't tell you how they compare, haven't had a Fatburger. When we went to the show in LA, we actually stayed in Santa Monica and found Georges Bistro on the Third Street Promenade to be a wonderful restaurant with fresh fish/seafood that became our food "hangout". Just a little plug.

What I do remember about a butter burger is that they are made fresh to order and that they butter the buns and then grill them.