Sign in to follow this  
LobsterLvr

Magic - Tony Burrows - Carmen?

I was checking out Tony Burrows "family tree". In 1976 he performed with a band called Magic. Wasn't that the name of Eric's band back then? Did they work together?

Dave

marvin   

I think that this Tony Burrows was one of those hired hand lead singers. I believe that he sang on "Love Grows" by Edison Lighthouse,and probably on many, many other songs.

Marv

Tony Burrows is a Bubblegum legend singing lead on 'Love Grows' as well as 'My Baby Loves Lovin' by White Plains,'United We Stand' By Brotherhood Of Man,'Gimmme Dat Ding',the Pipkins and the great 'Beach Baby' by First Class.

ira   

There is an actual "Edison Lighthouse" in my town of Edison New Jersey.

How the British folks (Was it Cooke and Greenaway?) who created "Love Grows" came to pick this name-I do not know.-Ira.

Thomas Edison was a very underated singer. He also played organ and kept one in his famous Menlo Park laboratory and played and sang with the lab employees. He later appeared (uncredited) on "Inna Gada da Vida," and "Funeral For a Friend" but for some reason people prefer to remember him for inventing the lightbulb and phonograph.Go Figure. Allegedly, he partied alot with Tony Burrows.

Travis   

And Thomas Edison invented the phonograph JUST so the masses could hear him sing. Inna Gada da Vida had been kicking around Menlo Park for years before a lab assistant convinced Tom give him some studio time to record it. Tom also played tambourine on the recording. That's how I remember it.

I think youre right Travis. Tony Burrows, Terry Sylvester, Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone were also on those sessions I believe. In between cutting songs, they worked on a few inventions apparently. Not many people know Terry Sylvester also invented the dishwasher.

Burrows also sang Tracy as the Cufflinks. There actually were times when he was competing with himself on the charts.

Often times the "group" didn't exist, they just needed something to put on the 45 for the DJ to say.

Steve, I think you may have Tony Burrows confused with Ron Dante. Ron Dante was the lead singer of The Cufflinks and The Archies (and producer of Barry Manilow, Cher and Pat Benatar, too)

Don Krider :)

marvin   

Poor Terry. Little does he know the rap he's getting here. I might have to resign my position as the President of the Official Terry Sylvester Fan Club.

Marv

don - re: the archies, also note that andy kim (of 'rock me gently' fame) sang lead vox for them too. speaking of the archies, now i'm thinking there should've been a raspberries saturday morning cartoon too! ;-)

Brioohs   

Sorry Austinberries - Andy Kim never sang lead on Archies songs. Ron Dante, Toni Wine, and Donna Marie were the lead vocalists on those records. Andy Kim was involved as a songwriter, and essentially a foil to producer/songwriter Jeff Barry.

brioohs, you sound more informed than i do, but his short bio on his website (andykimmusic.com) would lead you to believe he sang lead on some of those, incl. 'sugar sugar'... check it out - misleading bio stats, perhaps?

Brioohs   

I just read that bio at Andy Kim's site - it is misleading, but it doesn't say that he sang any Archies songs - just that he was involved in some (which he indeed was, as a songwriter).

On the positive side - I always liked his "Baby I Love You."

Recently we (the ad agency I work at) used an Archie's song in a Hebrew National Hot Dog commercial. Ron Dante was the singer and was paid handsomely for its usage.

Dave

So, does that mean that Andy Kim was the lead singer of The Archies.

What I don't get is why the cartoon cover albums not the photo of the original group.

The Archies cartoon series on television has the

voice of Andy Kim?

Didn't the earlier Archies cartoon have a song they sang "Sugar Sugar"

And more cartoons had songs .

Brioohs   

Gord, try reading the thread all the way before posting! It has already been established that Ron Dante is the voice of The Archies (other than two females that sang some of the songs with him). Andy Kim co-wrote many Archies songs (including the ubiquitous "Sugar Sugar") but was not a featured vocalist on any Archies record.

Heck, I recently learned that Ron Dante actually is singing the "female" lead on the Archies' song "Jingle Jangle"! With some tape speed manipulation (and clever performance), he actually manages to sound like a girl. This info came straight from the man himself!

ira   

Tony Burrows writes that there were times he did shows where 2 of his "groups" were on the same bill and he had to rush backstage to re-emerge in costume as someone else.-Ira.

Brioohs,

Your not going to believe this, I was doing some searching on The Archies, I was really amazed to what I found on Ron Dante.

He has three albums right,

Ok,

This really stumped me, The Archies- The Original Recordings From The original voice.

He also has a favoritesalbum also a Saturday Night Blast Album.

I tried to listen to some samples of his ron dante albums could not from the Launch cast yahoo music site.

Only certain songs are selected to sample listen.

It's really tricky isn't it when two great artists mingle with one huh.