Lew Bundles

Eric...Hypothetical Question

EC...Love to get your response to this hypothetical question...The phone rings in your house and its Mccartney and he tells you that he just talked to Ringo who said that you had some pretty nice songs...Mac continues to tell you that he went out and picked up all your solo CD's and that he was gonna RANDOMLY pick out a half dozen songs to listen to and that he would call you back to let you know what he thinks...QUESTION...

What songs are you hoping he DOSENT randomly listen to(for whatever reason):examples

They sound dated...

Lyrically/melodically not strong enough...

Production/arrangement poor...

Vocally disappointing...

Song too complex to be appreciated at one random sitting...

Sounds like a Paul rip-off...

Wouldnt sound good taken out of album context...

Not representative of your style...

ETC...

Hmmm, I'll have to think about this. Right off the top of my head:

"Waiting" I hate my vocal on that one.

"You Took Me All The Way" John Kalodner forced me to rewrite "Go All The Way". It was a ridiculous assignment.

"I Reach For The Light" a dumb premise and too Beatlesque

"End Of The World" Too BeeGees and just not up to snuff

I have to agree with my friend TOMMY TUNES (and you should mark the calander on this rare occasion! :lol: )

"I Reach For The Light" was the best "non-single" Rasperries song from the first two albums... and probably the song that to me spoke volumes of the talent of both EC and the band... until I was introduced to the serious power of Side 3.

That said, I realize and recognize that Lew's question was for Eric's opinions and not ours. And it's an interesting question, to choose your "ugliest" children instead of your "prettiest." ;)

Aww, I really like "You took me all the way". I always thought it shoulda been a single. I know, it was kinda plagerizing yourself, but Fogerty did it with "The Old Man Down the Road", and had a HUGE hit with it.

OK, I'll go hide now, and wait for Eric's punishment for liking it! LOL

Jeff

James   

End Of The World - good/very good song for most artists, below par for Eric Carmen

You Took Me All The Way - an obvious copy attempt...below average for the artist...but I still kinda like it.... :o

I Reach For The Light - great song

Waiting - beautiful song that I love

darlene   

I like "I Reach For The Light." I think it's a great song. I LOVE "Waiting." I fell in love with it the first time I heard it and I still love it. A gorgeous song!

:) --Darlene

Hey pal, gotta go along with the others and disagree on "I Reach For The Light". I absolutely love that song. I wish we did it during the reunion shows. Terrific melody, cool arrangement. My favorite part is the very end. The grit in your vocal delivery is full of raw emotion, totally going for it, and absolutely flawless.. Love it!

Paul

JCraft   

IRFTL was one of the first 'berries songs that I learned all the words to--and I still know them. For some reason YTMATW reminds of Maybe My Baby--I can't say why. I can understand why Waiting might be on the list. Speaking of Waiting, about that DVD thing-------

JIM

I have to agree - that arpeggiated E, followed by the screeched E, perfect!

On a side note, I used to track Eric's highest notes from the Raspberries AND Eric's solo albums - appears to be the big high G towards the end of "Spotlight" (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, YEAH!)

BMP

teragram   

Eric, if you only knew how many times I've played "You Took Me All The Way," over the years, you wouldn't believe it. It's one of my all time faves.

I played that song and American as Apple Pie so much I've had to replace the LP a couple of times. Thank God for cds. While we're on the subject of great songs, have you ever considered doing a version of your 3T song I Need You? I have this great need in me to hear you sing this beautiful song.

Muzza   

So I guess this shows that songs that you have done and don't particularly like are still enjoyed by your fans.

Eric, does that not make it tricky to choose songs for future albums/concerts knowing that "our" perceptions of any particular song will probably vary from yours??

Muzza :cool:

marvin   

I've read many an interview with artists who say that they are tired of doing the 'hits' but realize the audience wants to hear these songs, so they do them. John Mellencamp is one who takes the approach of re-working / re-arranging his songs so that they sound new and not (in his words) "tired."

Marv

I have a special place in my heart for YTMATW.

It was the first song the little guy with special-needs that I work with ever responded to, and I had tried everything.

I play YTMATW about 15 times a week, he loves the song!

:)

Maybe this will help. Songwriting is a craft. Like shoemaking. At a certain point, a good shoemaker probably becomes incapable of making an outright bad pair of shoes. Songwriting is the same. I don't think "You Took Me All The Way" is a bad song. As a matter of fact, if I hadn't already written "Go All The Way", I'd say it was a pretty darn good song! The difference between the two was inspiration. "Go All The Way" was inspired. "You Took Me All The Way" was crafted, because John Kalodner begged me to do it. Having said that, I thought the bridge turned out alright. I just felt a bit silly doing it. I can't imagine anyone begging John Lennon to go write a carbon copy of "Ticket To Ride." He would have just said "no." I probably should have. ec

I think this is part of "The Great McCartney Mystery." We all know what brilliant songs he wrote from 1964 to 1969. And none us of can make any sense of the inconsistency of his solo work ever since. You may or may not like every single song I've written as a Raspberry and as a solo artist, but I've never put a piece of junk like "Soily" on record. And Paul continues to play the awful "C Moon" in concert, even today. I just can't figure out why. Everyone has been waiting for another 'Yesterday" or even another "Can't Buy Me Love" but they just haven't come. There have been some really good moments like "Back Seat Of My Car" and "Everynight," but then there's "Junior's Farm" and "C Moon." I'm just baffled by it. ec

I'm thinking a lot of Paul's 1964-69 writing success was because he had equals or near

equals (fellow bandmates) to bounce ideas off of, even if they were not truly co-writers in some cases. Jet & My Love still stand up well.

James   

"Junior's Farm" is probably my favorite Paul McCartney song!

But then again, I proudly love Rush, Barry Manilow's "Ships" and "After The Lovin" by Engelbert Humperdink..

:wacko: