Sign in to follow this  
LC

"Make Me Lose Control" A Cappella

LC   

Here's a voices-only, doo-woppy version of "Make Me Lose Control": What do you think?

• Like 1

I've got one somewhere, thanks.

I just thought, while we're on the subject of vocal arrangements, you nutty kids might like to hear my original intentions for "Make Me Lose Control."

That was a fun recording session, because I sang all the parts on the fly. I just made them up right on the spot and doubled them, and then went on to the next one. I think I ended up with six background vocal parts, doubled. All twelve parts were done in a couple of hours.

The instrumental track was a piano, a Linn drum machine, and maybe a bass.

I think it captured the feel I was going for better than the finished record.

• Like 1

darlene   

I just love when you offer those insights and "original intentions," Eric. Keep 'em comin'!

And I don't mind being called a "nutty kid" at all. Calling me *any* kind of "kid" makes me feel good--and young.

:) --Dar

MAM   

Love that line ... "One more shooby-doo-wop, long live rock and roll". Great harmonies Eric!

marvin   

The original lyrics certainly add more to the song, I believe.

Man Eric do you ever sing the daylights out of this song, and I love the line: "We just pray that this night never ends..."

Eric why didn't you do all the voices on the released version ("Make Me Lose Control")?

Shelley   

Oh WOW...THAT WAS AWESOME ERIC....I LOVE them both...The tune is just so upbeat, you can't help but feel good when you hear it.

Thanks Bernie, for posting it.."Long Live Rock and Roll"...YEAH :lol:

LC   
Eric Carmen said:

I just thought, while we're on the subject of vocal arrangements, you nutty kids might like to hear my original intentions for "Make Me Lose Control."

That was a fun recording session, because I sang all the parts on the fly. I just made them up right on the spot and doubled them, and then went on to the next one. I think I ended up with six background vocal parts, doubled. All twelve parts were done in a couple of hours.

The instrumental track was a piano, a Linn drum machine, and maybe a bass.

I think it captured the feel I was going for better than the finished record.

Eric, thanks for that insight! Great stuff....

LC   

And Bernie, thanks for posting this! I'd never heard it; awesome.... I like it better than the final version!

It's times like this that I don't miss Cartoon World so much. :lol:

Kirk   

I love the 'feel' of the demo, also!

You can't argue with the chart success of "MMLC". Eric- did you ever wonder if it would have made any difference if you'd left the original lyrics intact?

Something caught my ear listening to the demo. It sounded a little frenetic in the second verse singing "Jennifer she's singing "Stand By Me"... I like the change to "Jennifer's singing "Stand By Me"... Perfection!

Marvin,

Jimmy Ienner wouldn't let me do them. He said I sounded too much like the Beach Boys (and that would be....bad?).

I actually sang the three part bridge vocals ( ..."And then they play"...) doing my best Barry Gibb impersonation.

Unfortunately, the record lost all that "personality", even though the guys who sang background were great ( Mark Hudson, Kip Lennon, and I think Jon Joyce ). I did the bass vocal.

For some reason, the night I sang those vocals I actually found the falsetto voice I'd been looking for my whole life. I just popped that high "E" out like it was nothing. I don't know where that voice came from, but I wish it would come back!

That was a weird recording session. For the fist time ever, Jimmy hired another keyboard player to play the piano and then relegated me to a vocal booth. I had to teach the session guy exactly how I played the part. It didn't make any sense to me, since I wrote the song, played piano on the demo and had played piano on virtually every other record I'd ever made. I still don't know why he did it.

The feel of the demo was more relaxed and sexy. I thought the record was too fast, but then again, what the hell do I know? I'm just the guy who wrote it and sang it. Duh. confused :rolleyes:

marvin   

Silly Jimmy.

I love what Kip and Mark did on "MMLC", but there's no denying how great the demo sounds with you doing all the voices. I guess you got a second chance with "Top Down Summer."