Sign in to follow this  
HT from Mo

Microphones

mr jason   

I'm not in the Raspberries, haha, but it's something I always swore I'd NEVER EVER DO!

But, at one point about 2 years ago I was doing a lot of gigs as a drummer, singing lead vocals, so I made myself a headset mic (using an omni condensor capsule taped to a bent bit of coathanger), and it's fantastic.

As Mike McBride has said when asked if he ever sang lead vocals whilst drumming (to paraphrase) "no, cos it's like being tied to a pole".

With a mic on a stand it compromises BOTH your singing AND your drumming, and you have to modify both to some degree.

With a headset mic you have completely free movement, which helped a LOT with my breathing, as my head and body wasn't having to be twisted sideways to sing anymore.

I don't like using headset mics because you have no control over dynamics and proximity effect like you do on a handheld.

As in- if you are belting out a note, you can back off the mic, and you can blend yourself with the backing vocals during the chorus, for example. You can eat the mic on quiet notes also. Can't do any of the above with a headset.

Also, proximity effect. Directional mics that reject sound from behind (audience, floor monitors) have a by product called proximity effect, which causes a pronounced increase in bass the closer you get to the mic. This can be used for technique- eat the mic on low notes at the bottom of your range- and can also be used to change the sound of your voice throughout the song. For a more distant, midrangey sound, back off the mic. I find that useful when belting out higher, sustained notes.

I think these are pretty common techniques, and ones you can't use on a headset.

Makes sense. Watch the dvd and EC definately takes advantage of microphone proxemity, the same song has mellow and screams.. When you see him turn his head to the right and leans back, you got yourself a scream or an incredible high note.

I also don't see Eric needing the freedom to run up and down the aisle or jump on top of a speaker during a performance. The music speaks for itself.