Sign in to follow this  
HT from Mo

Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak

I have to agree with LC. "I Can Remember" has stood the test of time.

I have the album with this on it and just earlier this year, I bought the CD "Raspberries Greatest. "I Can Remember" is also on that.

The cover from the CD has a quote from Eric that I thought was fascinating. "The crowning glory of that piece to me was trying to make the Rickenbacker twelve-string turn into a piano".

From one new member to another, welcome to the board Jen and congrats for getting an answer from the man himself!

Debbie

Mr E   
Raspbernie said:

Muscial Rorschach only included songs Eric wrote, that's why it's not included in that section of Eric Carmen: Marathon Man.

By the way are there any hidden stashes of this book available anywhere for the mortal man? I'd love to get one! :D

Paul

Mr E   

I was just listening to this last week and I think it's a beautiful piece. I understand Eric's frustration knowing what he knows now about recording, but from my point of view it is superb. It was recorded >when< it was recorded >how< it was recorded and that is part of its charm.

marvin   

"I Can Remember" was one of those songs that I just didn't get. The 'two movements' that Eric speaks about, totally confused me. For 30+ years I never liked the song and would always skip over it on the album. I loved the 'ballad' part, but the quicker part where "Wally slashed out the chords on his 12 string", just didn't seem to fit for me. Fast forward some 30 years later when I heard it performed live during the reunion shows, and I got a totally different understanding and appreciation of the song.

Marv

dianed   

Marv,

It's funny you mentioned that, because I felt the same way. I absolutely loved the ballad part, but when it changed, I was turned-off. I would listen to the ballad, then skip to the next song. It took me a very long time to REALLY listen to the song in its entirety before I was able to comprehend what was happening. When I heard it live, I was blown away.

I guess you could say that we are "late bloomers" !! ;)

marvin   

"Late bloomers" indeed Diane. No better way to describe it. Even back then when I didn't like the song, I still appreciated the fact that it was so unlike anything else in the band's canon, and as Eric has said, pretty heady stuff for some 20-something's.

Marv

First, Happy Holidays to everyone in Raspberryland!

Second, I first discovered Raspberries at the end of 1972 with "I Wanna Be With You" --- just grabbed me more than "Go All The Way" (I had heard GATW, but there was something unique and special about the sound of IWBWY to me at 15).

So I bought the singles and watched the band on television, but it was seeing the band on November 17, 1973 that won me over.

And when you mention Eric's "I Can Remember," it was seeing the guys do the old "piano medley" from the "Side 3" tour that blew me away. "I Can Remember" live just stood out on stage back then --- the perfect mix of pop, rock and classical music.

That and Wally's "Last Dance" just showed me a whole new dimension of the band on stage compared to the pop sound of the singles.

But, yeah, one viewing of the guys doing "I Can Remember" live and I couldn't get that song out of my head (so I went out and bought the first three LPs after seeing the band live).

I still can't get over how four band members and two side men in 1973 could reproduce that song on stage (and live on "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" as well) --- these guys were all sweat by the end of that song, so much energy pouring out of four 24-year-olds on stage, and I remember Eric's smile after a very satisfying performance.

Truly a great song, and performance, Eric.

Don :)

LC   
marvin said:

"I Can Remember" was one of those songs that I just didn't get. The 'two movements' that Eric speaks about, totally confused me. For 30+ years I never liked the song and would always skip over it on the album. I loved the 'ballad' part, but the quicker part where "Wally slashed out the chords on his 12 string", just didn't seem to fit for me. Fast forward some 30 years later when I heard it performed live during the reunion shows, and I got a totally different understanding and appreciation of the song.

Marvin, I'm glad you finally got an appreciation for the whole piece! Better late than never, right?

For me, "I Can Remember" is all about the "surprising musical changes" (as the liner notes on Raspberries Best put it). The curve balls are what made it hit me full-force the first time I heard it, which would have been in the mid-1970s. The ballad part is awesome, but so is the middle section (and the way it builds up to it), and so is the closing section.

In 8 minutes, you get not only tempo changes, but mood changes and all kinds of emotions pouring out.... I can remember kicking back late at night with headphones on in the mid- and late 1970s, when I was in high school and then college --- I'd listen to that epic of a song five or six or 10 times in a row. It took a big commitment of time....

Reflecting on it, I just couldn't imagine "I Can Remember" ending after the ballad part.... It would be like hearing "Hey Jude" without the tag, or "Layla" without that awesome (instrumental) second half, or Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend" without the 2nd (vocal) section, or Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" without those crazy "Scaramouche" and "Bismillah!" sections....

But that's just me....

(Isn't it amazing how a thread on "Hard to Get Over a Heartbreak" turns into an "I Can Remember" discussion?)

Mr E   
LC said:

(Isn't it amazing how a thread on "Hard to Get Over a Heartbreak" turns into an "I Can Remember" discussion?)

Ah well, people had to get over the heartbreak of the changes in the song!

Mr E said:

By the way are there any hidden stashes of this book available anywhere for the mortal man? I'd love to get one!

Unfortunately, there are no hidden stashes at "EC.COM Central." But Ken and I have discussed a second printing with updates and revisions including a new chapter on the Raspberries reunion. Hmmm...

Bernie

Jenny309   

Wow, I never anticipated my 2 or 3 sentence Reply about I CAN REMEMBER to evoke such a response. ERIc, I truly appreciate your reply. Your inspiration for it was obviously from the heart at a very specific point in time. I recall first listening to it around 1982-83' and my girfriend crying in my ear about her boyfriend leaving her, then he ultimately died in a car crash. The song is sentimental, because her and I would sit, drink wine, listen to I CAN REMEMBER and NEVER GONNA FALL IN LOVE AGAIN...we get silly drunk, cry with each other, laugh, then cry somemore..like silly young girls. I felt deeply sad for her.'Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn'...not a good song lyric for a song, LOLOL. BUT now you see that I CAN REMEMBER is a song that means different things to different people. It is, AND ALWAYS will me a masterpiece to my ears. Moreover, I can appreciate Marvin Mathews opinion regarding the two movements as being somewhat disjointed, but like any slow ballad, the song was just waiting to be infused with Tempo. It's StoryLine was begging for a transition and the perfect one was Wally's guitar fade. HAppy Joyous Hanukkah, :) jen

Mr E   

Well after the new videos were put up I rewatched the video for I Can Remember and I couldn't help feeling that this video airing in '73 on Kirshner's Rock Concert may very well have influenced (It would predate it) Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" ... I don't mean a 1 to 1 ratio where the music between the two sounds alike, but listen to the epic sweep of it.. the inclusion of classical riffs, the vocal range... Some Beatlesque touches....even the way Eric looks singing it at the piano is reflected in that original video version of Bo Rhap...

I just can't shake the feeling that there was an influence there

Mr E   
Raspbernie said:

Unfortunately, there are no hidden stashes at "EC.COM Central." But Ken and I have discussed a second printing with updates and revisions including a new chapter on the Raspberries reunion. Hmmm...

Hey, what's the worst thing that could happen... they'd sell out again?!? :lol:

darlene   

Having come from a background where all of the music I ever worked with was organized into "movements," I was totally blown away by "I Can Remember." It was something I could really relate to and every time I heard it, I heard another subtle and delicate "crossover." I also got "chills," Jenny, and I still do! Hearing it performed live was the Hope Diamond of the concert tour for me, albeit set against a background of all the other sparkling gems.

There's a poignance in Eric's voice that captured me from the very first hearing. It's just a "perfect" song--intensely beautiful, and I love it.

A HUNDRED WELCOMES TO YOU, JEN!

:spin::spin::spin:

What a great first post! You're obviously settled in already, and it will only get better from here!

Enjoy!

:) --Darlene

Hi Barb!

Did you get some red shoes for Christmas?

As for I Can Remember - WOW! I love it because of the different melodies mixed together and on video it looked like everyone was having a great time playing it as well!

HT

BarbB   

HT--no red shoes, darn it! I'm still hobbling along from my foot surgery in October and can't wait to wear something (anything) other than what I've been wearing!

ICR is such an amazing song and just hit me from the very first time I heard it. Sigh...

Barb