Sign in to follow this  
HT from Mo

Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak

Just out of curiosity, did Dave sing the lead on "Hard to Get Over a Heartbreak"?

How many of the Raspberries' songs were not sung by Eric? I know of just one - "Last Dance" which was done by Wally - awesome by the way.

HT from Mo

James   

From memory so I might miss a couple:

Dave: "Get It Moving", "Rock & Roll Mama", "It Seemed So Easy", "Every Way I Can", "Making It Easy", "Should I Wait", "Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak"

Wally: "With You In My Life", "Come Around And See Me", "Might As Well", "Last Dance", "Money Down", "Party's Over",

Scott: "Rose Colored Glasses", "Cry", "Play On"

IMHO, All of Wally's are A-1 (he wrote them as well). About 3 of Dave's are A-1 and Scott's are average with "Play On" maybe a bit above average..

Those guys were very good, Eric Carmen was the genius..

Scott's only solo song-writing for Raspberries was "Rose Colored Glasses." He got co-writing credit on Cry, I Can Hardly Believe That You're Mine & Play On with Eric and with Wally on "Hands on You."

I think Wally & Dave are awesome songwriters, just not as prolific as Eric was so there was less of their stuff to choose from when it came time to record. A few of the songs that Eric offered, while solid, were not better than the stuff that came from any of the other guys.

That said, Eric's best works were probably superior to those of his fellow band mates, but certainly not every song that he contributed to the albums could be certified as genius.

IMHO

James   

Yes basically.

Except I think "Hard To Get Over A Heartbreak" and maybe "It Seemed So Easy" were at least co-written by Eric Carmen, "Don't Want To Say GoodBye" I think was co-written by Carmen and Bryson, and one or two of Scott's leads were co-written by Carmen.

Sorry, I'm not with my CDs or I'd give you a for sure answer but fundamentally each guy sang his own songs.

Cool! The info is actually posted in the Music section above I believe under lyrics. The more I listed to the Greatest Hits CD that I have, the more I paid attention that not all of the songs were sung by Eric.

Dave and Wally did a fine job IMHO.

Did Jim sing as well other than backup?

HT from Mo

LC   

Don't forget that "Don't Want to Say Goodbye" featured a co-lead vocal (Wally and Eric). Right?

James, re: your evaluations.... I always liked Wally's contributions, too. And I thought his evolution as a writer and vocalist from first album to last (only three years' time) is pretty dramatic. It's hard to believe the same guy who did "With You in My Life" (my least-favorite Bryson) also did "Party's Over." The latter is my favorite Wally song, because of the attitude and because it seems to capture the group's frustrations, much like Eric's "No Hard Feelings" did on his first solo album.

Heck, I'd call Dave's and Scott's songs A-1, too! They're part of what makes those four albums so high-quality and timeless. It's high time Raspberries got back into the studio, don't you think? :-)

I agree LC! When I first heard Wally sing "Party's Over" I too thought that it was a reflection on the frustrations that the group was experiencing. Ditto for Eric's "No Hard Feelings". You hit the nail on the head with this one LC!

HT from Mo

James   

Absa-frickin-lutely LC!

As a kid I didn't much care for "With You In My Life" but now I think it's one of the group's best songs....great vocals and a lot of stuff going on with the instruments. And I guess "Come Around And See Me" is similar in this vain.

OK: here's the lead-throat lineup:

Dave:

Rock and Roll Mama / Get It Moving / Goin' Nowhere Tonight (co-wrote w/Eric) / Every Way I Can / It Seemed So Easy (co-wrote w/Eric) / Making It Easy / Hard to Get Over a Heartbreak / Should I Wait

Wally:

Come Around and See Me / Don't Want to Say Goodbye (co-wrote and shared lead w/Eric) / With You in My Life / Might As Well / Last Dance / Money Down / Party's Over / Hands on You (co-wrote and shared lead w/Scott)

Scott:

Play On (co-wrote w/Eric) / Rose Coloured Glasses / Cry (co-wrote w/Eric) / Hands on You (co-wrote and shared lead w/Wally)

All other stuff lead vocal by Eric

BMP

Without Eric's exceptional songwriting talent, The band never rises above a rockin' Cleveland club band.

I think you guys are making MORE out of some average/slightly above average tunes because you love the guys so much...

IMHO (Which is, after all, the real truth) ;):P:)

James   

Hmmm, your song on the CD refreshed thing got GREAT reviews from this board. You reckon it's from the same motivation?

Nah, come to think of it the song must be GREAT to the 2nd power....cuz it got great reviews from the board DESPITE of how they feel about you..

;)

Mr E   
Or maybe you're making much less of the chemistry of all 4...

I think there are one or two tracks such as (IMO) "Rock -n- Roll Mama" that might lie in the "average" area, but by and large they have a very high ratio of good tracks. Even the best bands have a track or two that aren't up to the level of the others.

James   

We've done this before but here goes again. IMHO (which is superior to Tony's IMHO).., the following are the only tracks of the 4 albums that are not good-to-great:

"Rock 'N Roll Mama", "Get It Movin", "Cry"

...and good point Mr. E about the chemistry.

Well, Average/slightly above average can also be good. But Eric's stuff can be really good to GREAT! I'd like to hear some of Wally's newer compositions to see how/if he has grown as a songwriter...

IMHO, James living in Chicago raises the whole city's IQ up a half a point...Rising above that hardcore labor union mediocrity mentality.

That is, up until he started hanging around Sugar's Soda Shoppe.