Sign in to follow this  
stringer

Dave Smalley's CD

stringer   

I just received Dave's solo cd from the onsite store. Got some other goodies, but this is the treasure. If you didn't get one and want some new music to listen to, I recommend it. It's great. Sort of Eagles, Poco, and Joe Jackson put together in his own style. A very smooth and relaxing style with a little steel guitar put in here and there like pop did in the early 70's folk/rock era. :):)

As far as i am concerned, I feel this is a wicked cd....remember...this is a cd done on a shoestring budget,.....no big bucks put behind it..." I was Born in Country"..."Something I could Say"..."Bad Blood"..."Something to Shine For"...man...there are some real gems here....

"I was Born..." is a smash!!!!! The Cd is chockful of emotional tunes...from the heart....from Smalley to his listener...It kicks the ASS of any EC record since "Tonight your Mine". Not because EC hasn't written good stuff since...I just feel Dave's CD reeks of pure from-the-heart stuff...like EC used to write years back...there are some trax that are redundant too tho......"It's cold Outside" is cute, and I had never heard the song before I bought the CD, ....but it is really not a good song at all...(except for the key change)...Warrior at Rest is awesome...but very personnal and not an album track, but a great B side...."Restless" could have been a smash....some instruments do not belong on the record...like some sax trax....not really a propos...put a GREAT producer on this record and you would have a CD as good as EC's first solo...

my two cents...

bahoo

LC   

Stringer, I'm with you on that. I recently got it too, and was very pleasantly surprised.

LC   

Stringer, no need to apologize.... I agree---Dave deserves as many mentions as possible for his Internal Monologue CD. Any 'berries fan who digs "Should I Wait" or "Every Way I Can" will dig this, too. Makes you wanna hear more new material from Smalley....