Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Live CD

Travis   

Professor Carmen...

From some of your posts, I am assuming that you are working on the post production of the live CD. What do you do if you are working on a song that is a classic and there are problems with all the different recordings from the tour. What is your process to remedy the problem?

By the way, I really appreciate your posts. They've been well worth the price of tuition and the field trips to Cleveland and New York. Thanks.

Fortunately, we don't have that problem. Everything is going to come from the L.A. HOB show. As a matter of fact, the entire show won't fit on a traditional CD. We're going to have to figure out a solution for that.

LC   

That's a great problem to have --- too much good stuff for one disc. (I think the Beatles encountered that same problem while recording the White Album.)

Re: a double-CD's feasibility.... I know everyone here would rather have a 2-CD release than a single disc. Then there are the untold numbers in the mass market who might bite on a $12-$14 single CD but shy away from a $20-$25* double-CD.

I suppose it gets complicated to think about solutions like the one Paul McCartney used with 1990's Tripping the Live Fantastic. He put out a 2-disc set as well as a single "Highlights" disc. Other artists have done that too. But it might be ideal... A "members-only" 2-CD set and a mass-market single disc.

This is exciting. Really, really exciting. A new Raspberries album. Live. The first official Raspberries release since 1974. Think about that.... It'll be nice to feel like a teenager again!

I agree with LC...I'm very excited about this. Charge me whatever the hell you want. I spent $1,000 (at least) to go to Cleveland to see the first reunion show, and another $500 or so to go to NYC to see the Sunday night show at BB Kings. I'm certainly not going to complain about 30 or 40 bucks for the live CD. I saw the set list of the LA show, and there's not one song that I'd cut out.

EC mentioned that it may be three different packages. Could it be a single CD with the 12 most popular songs. A 2-CD set with the entire HOB show and for the third a 2-CD set plus a live DVD. That's the one I'm rooting for.

just imagine the excitement for the fans that could'nt make it for any of the gigs!!!!!..all i have to say is..i /we envy u all!!! i have to put my patience face on BIG TIME to get thru this!...lol,chris

Gene   

Ok... finally a great excuse for those of you who do not have a surround sound system. Go get something with a subwoofer. When you get the CD/DVD? crank it up. Especially on Jim's drum part on Hit Record/Overnight Sensation. Ohhh man, it's gonna be so good.

Another option is to just release a standard single CD, and add what ever extra songs there are to a DVD. Some artists are making special edition packages which carry both CD and DVD together...

Jeff

LC   

Here's to a "hot play" single from the upcoming release. Wouldn't it be nice to see something like "Go All the Way" or "I Wanna Be with You" or "Overnight Sensation" land on the charts again as a single? Or "Let's Pretend"? Raspberries have a lot of admirers in the media (more than a few of whom post here), and a bunch of good reviews could get some major attention....

Even without a single, the CD itself should draw tons of attention. If you step back for a moment and consider.... This is a great story! Legendary power-pop band reunites after three decades and comes back without missing a beat. You gotta love it....

mellie   

If it's a 2-CD release, a nice conclusion would be to add the LA Breakfast With The Beatles radio interview. That wouldn't work well on DVD (unless you have video too)...but I'm sure you already thought of that.

marlene   

Ok, MAYBE it's because I am so excited about the news of a CD/DVD of the reunion coming becoming reality...or MAYBE it's because I watched the "Hungry Eyes" video yesterday....but I had the nicest dream last night.... :)

It was just like re-living the LA show..almost to the smallest detail...and then I hit the TV remote and woke up.....

I'm trying to be patient (as I know we all are).....but I can hardly wait for more news on this project !! Meanwhile...I'm going back to sleep.... :):) Marlene

Argee   

CD media days are numbered. On-Line is the way to go. Why spend for the packaging and distribution?

I see where APPLE has finally seen the light and the Beatle recordings will soon be available online. That is just about the last major holdout.

My IPOD holds 15000 songs. I have the Berries on it along with tons of other stuff. Its nice to have my entire musical library in my pocket to play while on the treadmill or in the car.

Cozmik   
Argee said:

CD media days are numbered. On-Line is the way to go. Why spend for the packaging and distribution?

Because those of us with discerning ears can tell mp3's sound like dog crap. They're ok for putting on a portable player. But I want something more permanant than a computer file when I buy music. And when I play it through my expensive home theater system, I want the best quality technology makes available not a lossy format that has a lower sampling rate than CD's and cuts off data because its decided that we don't need certain frequencies.

If not for pops, scratches and the fact that every time you play a vinyl record it destroys them a little bit, I'd happily go back to vinyl. I miss the days of 12" square (or raspberry-shaped) covers and artwork that was big enough to be noticed.