Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
austinberries

raspberries rolls/volkswagen?

27 posts in this topic

i know this info has prob appeared on the boards before, but does anyone know who was the winner of the 70's raspberries volkswagen (at least i think it was a giveaway promo) & where the thing ended up?

I've always wondered what happened to the Raspberries Rollswagon myself. Anyone got an answer?

I don't recall who won it, although I think we had it figured out on the old Raspberries.net message boards a couple of years ago (those message boards no longer exist, so I can't find that info that was posted there).

Here's a picture of the car though: http://www.showrods.com/kustom_cars_1/raspberries_sticker.html

And the picture sleeve of the "Let's Pretend" 45 rpm single with the car: http://www.ericcarmen.com/music/popup/pretend.html

And in Bernie Hogya and Ken Sharp's "Eric Carmen: Marathon Man" book (2004, now out-of-print), there's also photos of Wally Bryson carrying one of the car's tires and of all of the guys outside the Barris Kustom Shop where the car was built (same folks that built TV's Batmobile and The Monkeemobile, among other vehicles kids of the '60s will remember). The Raspberries also had the car with them on "American Bandstand" with Dick Clark (Chuck Barris also has a very cool website at http://www.barris.com/ ).

According to the "Marathon Man" book, they made two Raspberries Rollswagens, one for the giveaway, and one for auto shows like World Of Wheels and Autorama. The book says they gave the car away to a girl in Florida.

Maybe one of the Raspberries.net posters will see this and recall who the winner was. I've often wondered what the car's winner did with all those Capitol 8-track tapes for the car's then "state-of-the-art" sound system that were also given to the winner of the contest.

The Rollswagen model kits that were in retail stores in the 1970s sometimes turn up on Ebay.

Don Krider smile

http://www.epinions.com/content_393207123588

I think her first name was Shana, but the last name escapes me. Someone tried to find her again, but I don't think they were successful. It would be fun to find her, find out if she still has the car, and such.

That looks like Michael Jackson standing between Eric and Wally in Don's last pic.

haha

Like all normal teenaged girls in the '70's, Jacko probably had a crush on the Raspberries, and kept cut-outs from "Tiger Beat" on her wall. Used her fame to get that photo session with poor Eric.

I thought that Dean Jeffries converted the Monkeemobile eek .

LOL! The three women in the picture are actually Karen Umphrey, Cathy Colby and Esther Silvas who were called "Star Girls," but the photo from Star magazine doesn't identify which girl is which in the photo.

The magazine, which apparently only published five issues before folding, has a fan site on MySpace at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=192865164

A couple of interviews done by the mag are online, too: with Marc Bolin of T. Rex at http://www.tilldawn.net/InterviewReviewStory/starmag.html and with Cat Stevens at http://www.majicat.com/articles/star_interview.htm .

The Teen Life magazine story on the Raspberries car giveaway (no interview) is in Bernie's EricCarmen.Com Press Archive here: http://www.ericcarmen.com/press/730300b.htm

Don Krider smile

I've read Don's internet stuff since way back when I was in law school, and I'm always shocked at how much in the way of Raspberries archives that he has. Didn't the Raspberries play your high school gym, Don?

So, thanks Don and crew. So far so good. We ought to go on a quest to find this Shana. You'd think, in the age of pop culture obsession and easy digital photography, that some sort of photo would pop up showing a badly-damaged Rollswagon corpse, much in the way those Partridge Family Bus photos popped up on the internet.

I've read Don's internet stuff since way back when I was in law school, and I'm always shocked at how much in the way of Raspberries archives that he has. Didn't the Raspberries play your high school gym, Don?

So, thanks Don and crew. So far so good. We ought to go on a quest to find this Shana. You'd think, in the age of pop culture obsession and easy digital photography, that some sort of photo would pop up showing a badly-damaged Rollswagon corpse, much in the way those Partridge Family Bus photos popped up on the internet.

It wasn't at my high school (sigh), but they did play at the Doss High School Gymn in Louisville on Saturday, November 17, 1973. Johnny Randolph, program director at WAKY-AM, introduced them. I've still got the WAKY radio promos (commercials) that I taped off the radio --- silly stuff like, "The Raspberries want your body, TONIGHT, at the Doss High School Gymn..." while the chorus of "I Wanna Be With You" played in the background.

WAKY is now an FM classic rock station, but in the '70s it was the hip, #1 station in Louisville ("All By Myself" was #1 on their charts; "I'm A Rocker" made their Top 40 playlist!).

That was a neat time because Coyote Calhoun was a WAKY deejay back then and he always opened his show at 6 pm nightly with "Go All The Way" (even into 1974), and he used the "long" intro for his show's introduction voice-over, "W-A-K-Y, Rassssssssspberrieeeeeeees, 'Go All The Way,'" followed by his trademark coyote howl. These days, he's program director for the country station WAMZ-FM and has won Billboard's Program Director Of The Year" award several times.

That was a wild Raspberries month in November of 1973 --- saw the band live, watched them on Bill Bixby's TV's special, saw them on TV's "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" (the local station inserted a local-angle introduction to plus the show by WAKY deejay Lee Masters (who later, as program director of WLRS-FM, helped break "All By Myself," playing the long album version!), in a Raspberries T-shirt, saying "here's a really heavy band from Cleveland...") and I actually heard a WGAR-AM in Cleveland interview over my grandfather's old short wave (remember tube radios?) with Eric and Wally; all within one week of seeing the band live.

Man, I didn't mean to take up so much space on this, but the memories remain...

So I'm with you on our quest for the ultimate Raspberries trophy, The Rollswagen (I bet it's in Bernie's garage)... and my memory storage capacity is why Bernie nicknamed me "Kriderpaedia" years ago.

Don Krider wink

It wasn't at my high school (sigh), but they did play at the Doss High School Gymn in Louisville on Saturday, November 17, 1973. Johnny Randolph, program director at WAKY-AM, introduced them. I've still got the WAKY radio promos (commercials) that I taped off the radio --- silly stuff like, "The Raspberries want your body, TONIGHT, at the Doss High School Gymn..." while the chorus of "I Wanna Be With You" played in the background.

WAKY is now an FM classic rock station, but in the '70s it was the hip, #1 station in Louisville ("All By Myself" was #1 on their charts; "I'm A Rocker" made their Top 40 playlist!).

That was a neat time because Coyote Calhoun was a WAKY deejay back then and he always opened his show at 6 pm nightly with "Go All The Way" (even into 1974), and he used the "long" intro for his show's introduction voice-over, "W-A-K-Y, Rassssssssspberrieeeeeeees, 'Go All The Way,'" followed by his trademark coyote howl. These days, he's program director for the country station WAMZ-FM and has won Billboard's Program Director Of The Year" award several times.

That was a wild Raspberries month in November of 1973 --- saw the band live, watched them on Bill Bixby's TV's special, saw them on TV's "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" (the local station inserted a local-angle introduction to plus the show by WAKY deejay (later program director of WLRS-FM) Lee Masters, in a Raspberries T-shirt, saying "here's a really heavy band from Cleveland...") and actually heard a WGAR-AM in Cleveland interview over my grandfather's old short wave (remember tube radios?) with Eric and Wally.

Man, I didn't mean to take up so much space on this, but the memories remain...

So I'm with you on our quest for the ultimate Raspberries trophy, The Rollswagen (I bet it's in Bernie's garage)...

Don Krider smile [/QB]

Barely remember Coyote being at WAKY, but I remember him, just the same. I also remember when that episode of "Rock Concert" aired on WAVE after the news. I was 6; they had long hair, were loud, and chewed gum-they freaked me out spin . The clip of "I Can Remember" from that show is a favorite of mine.

Pathetic to admit, but I lost 4 good hours of my life to that site about 5 months ago. Mental crackhouse, that site is.

I listen to the reincarnated WAKY all the time. They can get pretty obscure, which is very cool to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Krider: but they did play at the Doss High School Gymn in Louisville on Saturday, November 17, 1973. Johnny Randolph, program director at WAKY-AM, introduced them. I've still got the WAKY radio promos (commercials) that I taped off the radio --- silly stuff like, "The Raspberries want your body, TONIGHT, at the Doss High School Gymn..."
Did you tape it? You could sell it to Ryko as "Raspberries Live on St. Andrews Church Road." That rocks!! haha ooohI'msuchacard . . .

Hey Crg2...You might be a card, but the real trick is not to get lost in the shuffle!!!!! insanelaugh

I got nothing . . . Well played!!

However, I wouldn't mind getting lost in an iPod shuffle, but not that Super Bowl Shuffle with Jim McMahon and his hair gel.

We'll just hijack this thread, and re-name it "The Infinite Pun and Joke Thread . . . with Something About a Car haha "

You'd think that, at a minimum, the second one that toured the auto shows would be, wouldn't you? However, don't you wonder what happened to the one from the contest?

I'll bet that the winner drove it unitl the wheels fell off, and it's somewhere in an auto graveyard.

I'd like to think it's somewhere having a happy life and that Shana is too. Let's try to find her!

Don, you have a treasure trove of Raspberries stuff!!! I totally envy you! You could NEVER take up too much space on this website!

smile --Darlene

I'd like to think it's somewhere having a happy life and that Shana is too. Let's try to find her!

Don, you have a treasure trove of Raspberries stuff!!! I totally envy you! You could NEVER take up too much space on this website!

smile --Darlene

Thanks, Darlene.

Looks like someone is selling the Fleer Barris Kustom Car Stickers Collection on Ebay currently (sale ends November 13, 2007) that includes the rare sticker for the Raspberries Rollswagen at http://cgi.ebay.com/C-1974-Nonsport-Flee...9QQcmdZViewItem

Don Krider smile