Sign in to follow this  
footdr1

Eric proudly defends Cleveland re: Hall of Fame

footdr1   

Eric proudly defends Cleveland re: Hall of Fame

from the LefsetzLetter today-

Eric Carmen:

There may some problems with the Rock Hall, but Cleveland, contrary to Danny Field's indictment, isn't one of the bigger ones. Not many people I know go to the Rock Hall of Fame for the "educational experience." As important as the delta blues may be to the history of rock, I'm going to see Beatles' stuff, like Lennon's handwritten lyrics and the song list taped to the edge of McCartney's bass guitar. The first time I walked through the place, I was astounded to see that the space given to the artifacts of George Clinton and the Funkadelic was the same size as the space given to the Beatles! There's an awful lot of stuff from bands no one really cares about in there, mostly because they had a lot of stuff to give them. The Rock Hall should have been "fun", not "hallowed ground." Instead of building a beautiful little theater that seats 200, they should have built a big one that could actually hold a concert by a first class act. Putting in a restaurant of some kind seems like it should have been a no-brainer, so that people wouldn't have to leave if they get hungry, but I guess that never occurred to them. Terry Stuart has done a terrific job of keeping the place going, but he doesn't seem to get a lot of help from New York. It really wouldn't kill them to put themselves out once every four years or so, and hold the induction ceremony in Cleveland. They would regain the support of the town that came up with the money to build the hall in the first place. How can they expect the rest of the country to want to go there, when the music industry wants nothing to do with it. The city of Cleveland really wanted the Rock Hall. They voted for it. They funded it. They built it. They know Cleveland isn't New York, but they're the ones who cared. And each time New York thumbs their nose at them, they feel feel a little less devotion to the cause. It is truly a shame that someone like Danny Fields should be relegated to a back table, when his band is being inducted, but it speaks to the bigger problem with the whole industry. Once upon a time, long ago, it was about the music, and the people who made it. Now, it's about everyone who thinks that THEY were more important than the bands AND the music. And they pat themselves on the back and give themselves bonuses while they try to cram Paris Hilton and The Black-Eyed Peas down our throats, and wonder why the business is going down the tubes. Cleveland didn't doom the Rock Hall.They need to nominate ROCK MUSICIANS for people to care about it! And they need to occasionally GO THERE to show the world why THEY should go there!

Eric Carmen

Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/

to subscribe-

http://www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you don't get this letter-subscribe.Its free,no spam or solicitation,and somewhat opinionated ,one might say. Lefsetz gets the Raspberries-I think a reunion concert was one of his 10 best shows last year.

• Like 2

mannoman   

Well said, Eric.

When Ruthie and I visited the HoF the day of "The Reunion", we were underwhelmed. I think there were 3 floors dedicated to the clothing worn by the Supremes. In fact what's with the Hall's obsession with performer's clothing?

At least I can say "I saw it", but I was not impressed. Cleveland deserves better.

Billy K.   

Cleveland should really take a cue from Seattle. We have this place called EMP(Experience Music Project, which I think the folks out in Cleveland should see.

Besides having standard exhibits, there is also interactive exhibits that educate people about music---being it playing a drum set, or mixing down on a board.

EMP has a mainstage where bands play, plus a smaller venue called the "Liquid Lounge". The latter is also set up for live music, and size-wise is much like a corner pub....but with much better lighting and sound. And of course a full bar and food.

Of course, we have a major benefactor, the founder of EMP, Paul Allen of Microsoft. So, not all the funds are coming from public monies.

We also have a sense of local pride, and a dedicated section of exhibits for Seattle artists, aside from the one large Jimi Hendrix exhibit.

Also, there are rotating exhibits. At one time they had a disco section, then later on had a Bob Dylan exhibit.

EMP was a larger complex, and actually too big and had to scale down. That closed-down section was made into the Sci-Fi museum. Actually turned out to be a smart move by Allen and company.

Of course, there is an advantage of being next to the best-known symbol of Seattle, the Space Needle.

For better, or for worse, the Rock Hall functions as both the Space Needle and EMP together, in the sense of worldwide visibility for Cleveland. With the Rock Hall gone, despite its flaws, there is little opportunity for additional tourist income to the city.

In other words, people think of Cleveland as a place to visit relatives, or for doing business. Which is sad. Takes every bit of a "fun" image away from the city.

Again, I strongly suggest that someone from the Hall come to Seattle and take some lessons.

Yes, there are some really bunk choices for people in the Hall. Office space is not any cheaper in New York, so what advantage is it to do so....move the headquarters to Cleveland where it belongs?

marvin   

I waited a lifetime to visit the Hall, and when finally given the opportunity during the "Reunion" weekend, I was thoroughly disappointed. It was not even close to what I expected. Ted was under-whelmed by the space given to the Supremes, well at least you can make an argument for the Supremes' inclusion. Try explaining to me why Avril Lavigne has an area devoted to her work.

Marv

p.s. Other 'museum's worth a visit: Sun Studios in Memphis, and the Motown museum in Detroit.

The first time I visted the Rock Hall, they had an entire wall devoted to Duran Duran! Even if it was a limited exhibit—Duran Duran?!?

Bernie

When I went 3 years ago, they had a U2 limited exhibit. I enjoyed it but was seriously disappointed I couldn't take pictures. So I figured they would have a commerative book for sale. Instead, I was shocked to walk into an FYE music store at the end.

It was thrilling to see things like Elton's Piano on which he composed "Your Song", Jim Morrison's School work, and other items. But I was surprised to see what little they had in the way of Cleveland and Ohio musicians memorabilia.

Jeff

i live in canton..have'nt been there YET..i've heard many mixed opinions from my friends..and family..i ca'nt really judge it yet..but this is a rock n roll hall of fame..no offense against anyone in there or about to come into..to me rock n roll is about guitars,piano,horns,a serious rythmn section..etc..i hope the "comittee" will change it's ways of categorizing and stick to r'r..if not,people will still be laughing at cleveland for another century!! just my opinion bein a local fan!!lol,chris

I also visited the Hall the day after the "Reunion" in November 2004. I really wanted to like it, and convinced myself I did at the time. But upon reflection, I, too, was disappointed. As Eric said, I was shocked about the amount of space devoted to the Beatles. And there was so much space devoted to bands I never heard of. Even the area devoted to Cleveland and Ohio was disappointing. The best part of that area was NOT to see Wally's flying V, knowing I had seen it in action the night before. The empty space where it should have been brought a smile to my face. There could have been more movies and video of actual concerts and events about the history of Rock and Roll, too. And as mentioned above, more interactive displays. I agree, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should be about R & R. Maybe the Hall should hire Eric to set it right. I can't wait to get to Seattle now, to see EMP and how it should be done.

darlene   

Thanks for posting this, footdr. Once again, Eric has hit the nail right on the head and expressed it so very eloquently.

BRAVO, INDEED, ERIC!!!!

smile --Darlene

The collective amount of memorabilia the Hard Rock Cafe has far exceeds the HOF. Someone once told me it was because they can pay for the items, outbid, etc. while the museum relies on donations.

I always wondered why the museum didn't try and persuade Eric to sing the Rock Stops Here at his solo HOF show.

AnneNR   

Good job, Raspathens, . . .

ah, we want the "bump", give us the "bump"

ah, we need the "bump", gotta have that "bump"

. . . because I don't know enough yet to pick out an older topic to do it with myself. ;)

AnneNR

There are definitely some inequities going on, it sounds like.  I have never been there yet either, but I would certainly wish the inequities were justified --- the Beatles should have a larger portion than other groups that have had a lesser impact.  That would be logical to me, and be a clearer picture of importance of groups or individuals and their contributions to the music industry.  That would NOT mean giving some of the lesser impact groups a low quality showing, a lot can be done in a smaller allotment of space if one is filling it with really quintessential material exemplifying a music group or individual. B)