Sign in to follow this  
Argee

Things you did not like on Friday night

Argee   

Ok, lets nit pick. Most of these peeves are about the HOB. I have nothing negative about the performance.

1. At the pre-brunch I wish they could come up with a way to have a shelf or something for people to eat. With the limited seating it was hard as hell to carry a plate, a drink and eat w/o anywhere to set something down. I finally just used the toothpicks and stabbed sausage slices and crabcake balls off the trays of the servers.

2. Turn on the blasted AC. It got really warm in the pit and the stage had to be an inferno. The band really were paying the price. I swore I saw Jim get a bit woozy now and then as it had to be hot as hell up on the riser under the lights.

3. We had an idiot in front of us in the pit. Foul mouthed and drunk and more concerned about who was in the audience instead of the performance on stage. Many times he had his back to the stage while the band was playing. He spilled a couple drinks on the floor. So much for the two drink limit.

Of couse #3 above can happen anywhere.

Art   

Argee: I agree with your first 2 comments. It would be bad if I agreed with the third, as Bernie and Ken Sharp were in front of me!!! But, really, the band suffered from the heat; it must have been awful. That was my biggest negative observation for the evening. On the food issue, I did the same as you, gave up the plate, and stabbed whatever came by. I actually did hear a few people complain about Wally smoking on stage. That didn't bother me, as I wouldn't want to see my 30+ year wait for this concert to unravel over a cigarette or two. Other than the heat, I think the HOB did a reasonably good job with the whole thing.

mannoman   

The smoke was a bit much (no smoking allowed in Florida restaurants/clubs). Made my eyes burn. Ruthie's too. Yes, a bit of A/C exhaust would have helped us AND the band.

The wheels almost came off the bus at the start of the M&G . Jim, Eric, Dave and Wally were most gracious in a tough situation. They were clearly tired but toughed it out. A class performance by the guys from beginning to end.

Ted

AnniekNY   

I would have liked my own photo with the band (I know, I know...too much time to do that and the boys were exhausted and "running on adrenaline" as Eric said) but they should have had something to lean on to write.

I was picking at food here and there, too excited to eat and knew I would pay the price later if i didn't - drinking on an empty stomach not a good idea. My dear hubby made me eat! But i wanted to meet everybody!!!!!

There was another couple who wormed their way in front of me in the mosh pit and, despite my best NY threats "where i come from, if you cut the line, we pour beer down your back. If that doesn't work, then we whip out the perfume and drench you til you puke..." they stayed for 2 songs. Then, they abruptly left, saying that they were being KICKED by the person in front of them! Andy....!!!

(not) That's mosh pit karma!

Jeff   

Topic: Things you did not like on Friday night

At about 11:30PM the show ended. I did not like that angryangry

A few hours later, the whole evening ended. Did not like that, either frowncryingcrying

Annie, we were right upfront and the show didn't start yet and I had to step away to the ladies room, and when I tried to get back upfront NOOOO ONEEEE would let me thru. I tried without pushing, asking please could I get thru and explained I was upfront and someone said, sure, everyone is upfront. How rude! I guess though people just assumed that I was trying to get upfront. Finally, I had to just find a space to squeeze thru to make it back to my spot.

I was so happy and excited that I thought I wasn't going to let anyone ruin my night. Though I could have showed them the way someone from Chicago

deals with a situation like that. Your NY threats are pretty good too!

AnniekNY   

Yes, it did sound funny...not a "true" sound somehow. I wondered how there could be a glitch with it during the show if they did a sound check before the show and no one touched it in between. The guitars are one thing - cables in and out etc. but not the piano??

Gina, I purposely didn't have more to drink (of anything) because i wasn't moving from that spot!!!!

The only thing that upset me just a teeny weeny bit was the HOB policy about eating in the restaurant and going in the back door. We skipped the pre-concert reception (which we truly regret now) because of the cost and the fact that since we had reserved seats in the balcony, we didn't need the Pass the Line advantage. So, we ate in the HOB restaurant, which was great, and figured we could just get in the back way after 8:00 PM since we had reserved tickets. Well, they were only allowing those with GA tickets that ate through the restaurant, even though it was after 8:00 and the doors were open!! They made us go outside around to the front and wait in line another 20 minutes with all the other people trying to get in the front door. It doesn't make sense. We ate in the restaurant and had VIP tickets and they don't let us in the back? But they let those with GA tickets in that way? We waited until after 8:00 because we thought we didn't have to worry about a line in front. Well, we made it to our seats with only 15 minutes to spare...not enough time to visit with everyone. But at least we made it by showtime. Stupid HOB policy!! But once the show started, all was forgotten.

Tom   

Cooments on the heat are interesting.

I am ALWAYS hot...but believe it or not...it was comfortable in the balcony area. In fact in the center balcony I could feel a cool breezy from the climate system. I was also surprised that I could not smell any cigarette smoke.

I'm gonna be on the floor for the NY eve show...might be a different experience down there!

Danny S.   

The "Drunk" that kept getting up next to me(you know the "excuse me,stand up and scoot down the aisle in front of you routine") just about every other song.

also the general lack of organization by the H.O.B.

staff(which will probably get better in time).

last but not least,prices of beverages! $3.50 for water, 7.50 for a plastic cup, half full of cheap wine!

Danny S.   

Like I told Paul after the show, In the Balcony,Jim's High-hats were crisp, but his cymbals were not coming through as strong,we were ABOVE

the cymbals, so the overhead mikes should have been stronger in the mix.Also, Eric's vocal mike on stage was a bit muffled as compared to his keyboard vocal mike.as far as glitches, DIGITAL guitar amps sometimes react to lights, and power drops.Billy had a problem with this.possibly when a certain light combination was selected.or possibly an open ground.

being a new construction, sometimes this happens.

Dougjack   

Topic: Things you did not like on Friday night

At about 11:30PM the show ended. I did not like that angryangry

A few hours later, the whole evening ended. Did not like that, either frowncryingcrying

Jeff - exactly right! haha

Jeff,

That *IS* sucky that you couldn't get on the floor in the pre-entry with your balcony ticket. Others seemed to be luckier and managed to get close to the stage.

Bernie

I can understand why the HoB has that policy regarding reserved seats passing the line. The whole point of passing the line is to get pick out a good spot on the floor if you don't have a reserved seat. People in line with reserved seats slows the line down. I can also understand why they don't really want reserve ticket holders in the GA area. They sell a specific amount of GA tickets based on capacity determined by the Fire department. If those who are supposed to be in the reserved section are all in the GA section then there will be far too many people. That being said, if I had reserved seats, I would have still been down on the floor.

There was no line by the time we were done eating. We walked to the back hall of the restaurant to where you could get in and all the people were already in the main hall. There was no line. That's why we waited until 8:15, so we wouldn't interfere with them. We would have simply walked around the crowd inside the hall and up the stairs. It's not like we weren't allowed on the floor anyway. I went down at one point midway through the show to check it out, and I was surprised how uncrowded it was near the back of the hall. We wouldn't have interfered with anyone by walking in that back entrance at 8:15 when everyone was already in the hall.

I was just stating the reasons I think they have those rules. Logic and reason really doesn't enter into it much once rules are put into place. I'm curious, did those entering the front get searched or wanded? There was nothing coming through the restaurant. I could have brought a 4 track in with me to record the show if I wanted!

Zman   

1. everybody getting wanded

2. the price of drinks ($5.00 for a red bull?!?)

3. no driving around (still a great show)

4. price of merch (25 for a tee is alot)

about wally smoking on stage whoever was at berries on the vine saw that he was chain smoking throughout the entire show so it seemed like he limited himself this time.

Dougjack   

We came in the front and were all searched and wanded.

A funny side note - my brother for some reason brought his harmonica with him, don't ask me why. Big metal harmonica. The folks at the door didn't say a word, and the wand didn't seem to notice. I thought it would've been funny if they had made him check it. (And if he'd have tried to play it during the show, I'd have CHUCKED it!)

Another little happy moment: I like to be nice to the worker-bees in places like that, as I've been in their shoes and know how hard it is to keep everybody moving and not offend anybody and deal with the odd jerks you sometimes get. And most of the public never seem to appreciate what they go through. So, to the guy wanding/searching me, I said "You guys are doing a great job, thanks alot!", and he replied, "I'd better - I'm the boss!" So it looks like they even put the management to work to try and get everybody through the doors (and out of the cold) on time.

Trindy   

The wait in line at the front doors was scary.

I would've loved to actually hear a fiddle on "Last Dance."

Otherwise, my only complaint is that...it ended.

I, too, would like to complain…….that it ended. Despite being on a high at such a brilliant, brilliant show, there is also the disappointment that the curtains have closed and there is no more...(until the next time!)

Diane   

I'm really disappointed that I had come on the discussion board to find out they okayed cameras at the last minute. What a missed opportunity frown Thanks to those of you posting pics here and at the Rasberries site for us to see.

smittie   

I had such a wonderful time that the little things that would have probably bugged me big time on an ordinary night didn't bother me in the least. I was just so happy to be there, witnessing history, pinching myself and walking on air that any irritations just rolled right off me! And you know what? It's Wednesday night and I'm still feeling ecstatic about the whole experience. I hope I never come back down!