Sign in to follow this  
Melissa

Thank you

Melissa   

After this weekend in the big apple, I got a taste of what it is like to be on tour. All I have to say is, I am very tired and want to go back to NY, NY!!!!! I had such a good time with the entire band as well as their other half's. Dad, I am so proud and blown away from your talent. And the rest of you, WOW!!!! I have tried to explain to all of my friends how GREAT all of you were, but I can not put it into words. All of you made me smile the whole weekend! Rusty, Al, and Goose, I love ya!

Melissa Bonfanti

How you doin?

Jennifer, are your dogs barking still?

AnniekNY   

Melissa - we are a devoted bunch! But you probably heard people talk about your dad the way we did - in total awe of a gifted drummer (and business manager too from what I hear!!)

Your friends will just have to get the whole experience: Raspberries, Raspberries fans....there aren't enough words, right???

You really got a nice taste of summertime in NY - great weather, nice crowds on the streets.

Come back and we'll show you all around.

annie (ribbon lady!)

Melissa you will just have to bring them to a concert and you won't have to say any more. By the way I think your Dad is awesome on the drums. I have a grand time watching him, he's on fire.

darlene   

Melissa, Thank YOU for coming East with the band! We're SO glad you came "on tour" to New York! I enjoyed seeing you and meeting your beautiful Mom. I think the greatest fan your Dad can have is his daughters, and if *you* are "blown away" by his talent, you can't even imagine how much he's impressing the rest of us! By the way, he's "the best," and *you* have GREAT musical taste! Come back to New York when the band comes back (and they WILL!) and Atlantic City, too. We LOVE having you! "Raspberries RULES!"

smile --Darlene

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to sit in an audience and watch your dad drum his guts out like that. I'm not sure PROUD would even describe it for you. I'm not sure there are any words in the english language that would. In my book, he is one of the greatest of all time.

Jim has such a unique drumming style. I love how he goes backwards a lot 'around the table' and "flails" so melodically (can you flail melodically?)

sorry for the technicals but...

Melissa, I never got to ask him. Is Jim left handed with a right handed set up (as he doesn't cross his arms for the snare/hi-hat)? darn, I love to watch him play.

Steve T

P.S. my Mom's maiden name is Bontempo (same region of Italy, maybe?)

Jeff   

P.S. my Mom's maiden name is Bontempo (same region of Italy, maybe?)

Well, just an FYI, "fanti" roughly translates to "makes you" and, of course, "bon" is a slightly anglicized prefix that stems from the term "buon", or "good". So, Bonfanti roughly translates to "it makes you good", and "Bontempo" means "good time" -- why these people took these names is another story, but, the region is not too important ....

But., back to the thread, Melissa, you should be VERY proud of your incredibly talented dad. I concentrated on him a bit on Sunday, and was just amazed at how natural it seemed to him, and the EASE he cranked out those unbelievable over, under, and around arm movements ...

Jeff   

Jeff - Thanks for that info. The history of 'why' would be interesting.

Pretty cool.

Steve

I guess moms' side of the family were party animals eekhahahaha Funny how names can come to be !!

I knew of someone named Palumbo who took the name Columbus because the immigration guy did not understand him (way back of course).

He hardly wanted to argue because he was just glad to be here.

Melissa,

I'm sure your Dad doesn't remember me, but I first met him at Eric's Hall of Fame show and my wife and I were so impressed with how down to earth and gracious your folks were.

Drumming-wise he's the best, and Eric's wrote some pretty good rockers with some juicy fills for Jim to highlight his immense talents.

Offer still is open for a boat tour of Seattle.

Yes, Jim is left handed and plays a right handed kit. It enhances the style of the way he plays. Also the set is old school 24" kick, 14" & 15" high toms and 16" & 18" floor toms. Jim's fantastic drumming and the big set allow that great sound

Billy K.   

Incredible performance!! What can I say??

Melissa, glad you were able to make it, and have an understanding of the love and appreciation we have for your dad's band. Thanks again for coming.

Seattle Steve, I'm not sure if I told you this, but Jim once came on the chat room(which isn't often)and mentioned that he'd like to visit Vancouver. So, when the Bonfantis come up here, we need to go all out for them.....

Man, I'm still abuzz over that Sunday performance.......

If only Eric and Wally were so cool and easy going as Jim back then, I think the reunion would have started around 1985, after the Geffen letdown.

Then the Raspberries could have helped beat back the fledgeling RAP music revolution...And the country could have been spared 20 years of CRAP MUSIC and moral decline!

So Melissa, If they were all as cool as your dad, the world could be a better place...

Thanks Ted, Roadie #3 and others.

Phenomenal show and what a phenomenal drummer Jim is. Have you ever listened to a sanitary sounding song with a stock, drab, "safe" beat and asked "what would Jim do with it?" That's how good a drummer he is. I was also glad to meet him again after the Sat show. (Pics turned out great).

I think Jim’s drumming is amazing ~ really powerful! I love watching the drummer (when he’s visible and not hidden away at the back) at gigs. Jim definitely has to be the best drummer yet!! (not counting Stevie’s dad). I think Jim is REALLY great, and he’s such a sweet guy, too !!

coolhappy