Sign in to follow this  
aggiesjc

What EC fans listen to?

Man, where do I start? Well, for starters I am a huge KISS fan as well. They are the reason why I picked up an instrument. I also love Prince, if there is a definiton for musical genius he would be it followed closely by Todd Rundgren (who I am also a big fan of too).

I love rock, hard rock, punk rock and somewhere in there is a deep fondness for R&B. Especially from the 1970's and early eighties.

I am also delighted in seeing that there are quite a few Kyle Vincent fans on here. I kind of discovered him by accident and discovering his music was like finding a lost treasure!

To be honest, there really isn't much out there that I don't mind listening to!

Laura   

I can only speak for myself, but besides Eric/Raspberries, I listen to a lot of Electric Light Orchestra, BeeGees, Jon Secada, REO Speedwagon, Moody Blues and Survivor. I try to listen to some of the newer stuff on the radio, but I just can't deal with some of it. I like to listen to classical when I need to relax and chill out. My husband is big into 60s-70s music but different stuff than I am, so we try to compromise when we can (In other words, I tell him how sick of Rush I am and he turns it off!) :p

Julie   

Eric and the Berries are the best, but John Waite solo and with the Babys and Bad English are terrific as well. There are some interesting parallels between them -- singer/songwriters, longevity, voices that have the ability to make me melt and they all have a good mix of material for whatever mood you're in. Other favs are Alan Parson's Project, ELO, Foreigner, Neil Sedaka, Jane Oliver, Savage Garden and Styx. I'm going to have to check out Kyle. Sounds like everybody really likes him. --Julie

Betsey   

I am wondering why I have not heard of this Kyle Vincent fellow. Did he ever get any airplay? How did all of you hear about him? It looks like I need to check him out!

Darlene I understand what you mean by Eric has a soothing effect. He is the only one I can listen to that I can turn off the rest of the world. With my back, sometimes I can be in a lot of pain, but when I wear headphones and just listen to his voice it relaxes me. I have used this technique for years and it's never failed me. There is just something about Eric's voice that is magic to me.

While I'm here I might as well put my 2 cents in. Mostly I listen to Eric, but some fav's are Barbara Strisand, Neil Diamond -- he has some fun songs, Beach Boys, Billy Joel, Abba, Marc Anthony has a very nice voice too. Just to name a few but mostly I listen to Eric. I have one of those 200 CD changers and the first 10 slots are for Eric and Raspberries and I always start on #1 so I don't get to hear much of the others. JUNE

I've been listening to Kyle Vincent, The Posies, Robbie Williams, David Cassidy, Dan Hill, Shy Nobleman, Tony Hadley, Rick Springfield. But as always I mostly listen to Eric, Ron

Billy   

I've been listening alot to the Go-Go's ... thier new disc "God Bless the Go-Go's" is excellent -- went to see them in concert last week on Long Island.

Randy   

The Raspberries of course, Steve Forbert, Gino Vannelli, John Mellencamp,Dwight Twilley, Shake Russell,Todd Rundgren and Shoes.

niptate   

No one has mentioned my very favorite, Tommy Keene. Also like the new Graham Parker disc, Cheap Trick, Lit, Springsteen, Jason and the Scorchers, John Eddie, and Ginblossoms. I got the Scott McCarl disc recently and I hate to say it but I was a little disappointed. I was hoping it would be a little more rocking. Great version of "Nobody Knows" though. He does a nice duet with the Tearaways on the Shoes Tribute CD.

So I bought Kyle Vincent's 1997 debut Cd becuase of the buzz on this topic. It is a good CD. Kyle likes that old late 60's early 70's twangy Rickenbacker pop sound. You can tell he is influenced by Eric and the Raspberries sound. "Arianne" is the best song. He needs Eric to write his song bridges. They are pretty weak. His voice is very good. Reminds me a little of Richard Marx. I think I'll get his new CD also...Since Eric is on hiatus...again!

Kyle definitely walks in Eric's footsteps on his freshman CD but switches more heavily into a Barry Manilow groove on his other discs. Skip 'em if you don't love Manilow. --Bernie

My top five after E.C. and The Rasberries:

1. Queen

2. Jefferson Starship (w/ Micky Thomas)

3. Bee Gees

4. Tommy James & The Shondelles

5. ELton John

Also, I find myself listening to country more and more, though I hate to admit it!!!

aggiesjc   

To Tiggsherby: Don't be too ashamed about listening to country music. It's become far more mainstream in the past 10 years, and has provided an alternative to all the urban rot that's on other stations these days.

I like Tiggsherby's taste in music...

But does anybody besides me think that Kenny Loggins has one of the best pop voices ever?

And it's time to give credit to a genius Producer/Writer/Arranger who created a whole new pop sound in the 80's in the way Phil Spector did in the early 60's. His name is David Foster. It seems every power pop balled recorded in the last 20 years still uses his techniques, his booming snares, keyboards, reverb mix,...It's slick, it's powerful, and it works.

Had I become a singer, I would had like to team up with Jim Brickman & David Foster to do the remake of the song that the group Sneaker did back in 1981 called "More Than Just The Two Of Us". That song became a Top 40 hit & peaked at #34 on the Billboard Hot 100 & #17 on the Adult Comtemporary Chart. Maybe even country singer Vince Gill or Lonestar might had done the remake had they listen to the song back then. That song & Eric's "She Remembered" are my favorite ballads of the 80's decade. Matt

JuliaD   

I've got very varied tastes in music, I have classical music cd's, I have Charlotte Church, and I have AC/DC, and everything in between... other than Eric's, one of my favorites from my teenage years is Tommy James, with or without the Shondells... I also like Journey, Queen, Roxy Music, a lot of 80's "one hit wonders", and I *love* INXS... I'm probably gonna get flack for my next comment, but I bought Kyle Vincent's first cd when it came out a few years ago, and I'm not too enthralled over him... but hey, Angel *rocks*, right Bernie? Hehehe... :p

Kirk   

I was looking through my albums and discovered that after the Raspberries and Eric Carmen, the artist that has the most representation is Cliff Richard. He is my wife's favorite, and I like his music, also. He seems to be under appreciated here in the U.S. Worldwide, he's probably as big as Elvis. Saw him a couple of times in the late 70's and early 80's (Santa Monica Civic and Greek Theatre) -- great live shows! Kirk.

JCraft   

I recently picked up a Gin Blossoms CD. I don't know how, but the harmonies and pop rock styles really grabbed me. Todd Rudgren is another favorite, along with Badfinger, Hmmmmmmm -- seems like there aren't any modern groups there. I guess I'm trapped in the past.

JIM

I heard the guy who WROTE the hits on that hit Gin Blossoms CD killed himself soon after and that is why the group hasn't had much success since. Bernie, do you or anybody know the whole story about that?

Tony-- I don't know the story behind that, but I did hear that they were big fans. In fact, in David Wild's liner notes to THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION he writes that the Gin Blossoms said, "the Raspberries wrote the book on how to write great pop songs." --Bernie

Billy K.   

Bernie, really strange never even hearing of Kyle Vincent. Just moved out of San Francisco and usually am up on the music scene there.

Matthew, is that Jim Peterik the guy from Survivor?

Billy K.   

Douglas Hopkins (lead guitar) was kicked out of the Gin Blossoms due to excessive alcohol abuse, shortly before commiting suicide.

They did have some other good songs, though not nearly as strong as the first album.

And actually, they split up ... but did anyone really notice? But the Blossoms are now back together again.